Eat After Giving Wazine?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HemlandHomestead, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HemlandHomestead

HemlandHomestead New Member

This is my first time with meat rabbits. A couple weeks ago my male got pasteurella and died. I thought that he may have had worms too so I gave my other rabbits a dose of Wazine. Now a female has pasteurella and we need to cull her. It has been 15 days since we gave her Wazine, is she safe to eat? The bottle says to wait 14 days for poultry but longer for swine. I wouldn't really worry about it but I am pregnant and want to be careful.

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a quick question----you have a rabbit that has died from pasteurella and you want to eat it? I never wanted to eat a sick animal?? But That's me.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Withdrawal depends on if the drug is approved for use in that species, as well as the dose and route. Just because a drug has a withdrawal of one day when given one route, it may have a vastly different withdrawal if given a different route. (Oral vs topical vs injectable). The dose can make a huge difference too in clearance, even if it is 'safe' for a dose, an overdose can cause increased duration of residues.

Your best answer will likely come from your veterinarian contacting FARAD with the drug dose and route, and see what they recommend.