Easy Way to Caulk?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nette, May 16, 2004.

1. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I made a mess trying to caulk my new tub-surround. As suggested on several do-it-yourself sites, I masked off the area to be caulked and used silicone caulk in a caulking gun. Tried three different ways to smooth the bead--wet finger, ice cube, and plastic spoon. It's not pretty. My question is, can I use that bathtub trim/tape with the adhesive back (i.e., caulk for dummies) to cover the caulked areas? First of all, will it hold? And secondly, would it create a moisture problem between the silicone caulk and the tape strip?

2. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

Nette, you probably cannot cover the caulk at this point. The easiest way is to start over. Let the current caulk dry thoroughly and remove it. This could take a week or more. I would suggest you use an acrylic caulk. It's easier to work with especially if you've not done it before. Caulk is fairly cheap so you could get a few tubes and practice some. It's easy to get the hang of. There are a few tricks. A good looking caulk job is generally a good caulk job.

3. nette when caulking less is more in other words use as little as possible.
    i have never had any luck using tape it just makes a mess when you pull it off. the other post is correct acrylic caulk is easier to use but wont last as long they make one in between that has silicone in it and is paintable so after you seal it you can paint right up to the edge or the surround or you can get some plastic trim and put it over the sealant you pu on already.

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Remove the caulk and start over. You'll be glad you did.

Caulking is fairly easy with the right stuff. First, buy a very small paint brush of 1/2" or smaller size. Then, get a coffee can or jar and fill it about 1/3 full with water. Then add a long squeeze of dish detergent and stir it up using the paint brush..
    Apply the caulk in sections stopping to use the brush. dip the brush in the water/soap solution and use the brush to "smooth" over the caulk. You are using the brush while the caulk is freshly applied.....don't wait too long to brush it.

This will leave you with a professional looking caulk job.

You'll see a 1000% improvement.