Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my homestead slowly. Most immediate concern right now is shelter through the winter for goats and horses.

I have metal panels I'm planning to use. Live in Oklahoma so snow loads are not a big concern. Mainly wind break and place to huddle in the rain. The metal panels are 3' x 12'. I was going to do the goat shelter first. 12x12 and 6' tall in front with slight slant to the back.

Questions. What is best way to cut these panels? Tin snips of some sort or is there a better way? Was thinking 12' cut to conform to the slant with snips would suck. Lol. Also was thinking of digging holes and using 4x4 for corners and then 2x4 for slats every 3' between corners and 2x6 for top, bottom and middle horizontally.

Thoughts? Plans online somewhere better? I'll be starting this Monday. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
An old circ saw if you have one and carborundum blades. You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot. You can use a standard blade or a plywood blade installed backwards. I would get one of the ferrous metals blades that are just for what you are doing. You can get them for a sawzall or a circ saw. Good luck on the project.

nosedirt

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think nosedirt nailed it on the cutting. I have a similar building on my land I use for goats. 7 1/2 x 20. 8' front with 6' rear walls. Someone else built this for horses I believe. Too tall for goats but works. This slant on the roof calls for an 8' panel to cover front to back. You can put your vert 2x4 s 4' on center to make it easier to add any sheet goods later. I have wood slats that a male goat keeps hitting and popping loose. Adding plywood to interior to keep from damaging outer wall. I have a 7 1/2 x 8 area inside for the goats with the rest of the area for hay storage. We only have 5 goats at this time.

·
Born city, love country
438 Posts
I used the metal cutting disks in a circular saw. You will spend a fortune on these for very little work. The same type of blade is fine for chop saws, just not circular saws.

I second the use of a plywood blade installed with the reverse rotation. You cut pulling instead of pushing. I also have air shears and they work great. And then there is the set of snips you can't do without. Get all three, right, left and straight. Cheaper by the set.

Stack your sheets and predrill all of your screw holes. Much easier for alignment and the finished look is worth it.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts