Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Renegade...
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my squash harvest today.It's the smallest so far since my squash plants have started producing...but I have plenty that I am about to put away in the freezer and should have at least as many to pick tomorrow.The knife is a handmade paring knife that I made earlier this year and wouldn't sell because of a small flaw that only I know about...I tried giving it away two or three times to friends but they were like"You need to sell it ! You need the money!" As true as that may be I couldn't sell it...So I kept it and peeled 25 pounds of potatoes with it today..lol
106345643_10158360674153550_8675381782957996918_n.jpg

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Kid; Nice knife--who cares about a tiny flaw in a paring knife? What I want to know is how do you deal with frozen squash? How do you use them? I was under the impression that frozen squash become a soggy mess.

This interests me because MY squash (patty pan and yellow straight neck) are beginning to bloom and, like zukes, there are always either too many or none.

You have a much better climate down there in S. Ok. Probably better ground, too.

·
The Renegade...
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kid; Nice knife--who cares about a tiny flaw in a paring knife? What I want to know is how do you deal with frozen squash? How do you use them? I was under the impression that frozen squash become a soggy mess.

This interests me because MY squash (patty pan and yellow straight neck) are beginning to bloom and, like zukes, there are always either too many or none.

You have a much better climate down there in S. Ok. Probably better ground, too.
Ox, I'll fry'em up or bake them just like usual...they can be a mess but they'll taste just fine ! If I can come up with some more jars I'll can some of them too. Here's what I have to cut up today...and there's more in the refrigerator.
74643675_10158363708118550_7427646575890892454_n.jpg

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Kid; my wife makes me pick them as small as two inches, boils rhem, salt and butter and eats them like candy. I like them boiled with onion, fried, baked.

Patty pan I love peeled, cubed, cooked in mushroom soup with onion and pepper.

We got such a late start this year that we seem to have escaped the squash bugs.

·
Premium Member
6,895 Posts
I use squash in a lot of soups. Like yellow squash boiled with onions and butter.

My sister makes a LOT zucchini breads and freezes them. They eat them throughout the year, and give as presents, as need arises. They also freeze some zukes for use in other things.

Mon

Reactions: Kiamichi Kid

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,327 Posts
I like Yellow Squash sliced really thin, sauteed in butter with garlic, and covered with real Parmesan cheese.

Add the cheese early enough so it melts before serving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts