Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
le person
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make free seed pots from your empty paper towel/ toilet paper rolls.

-Flatten the roll, then turn and flatten again so you are making 4 sides.

-cut into thirds if you are using a paper towel roll

-at the bottom, cut up about a centimeter on each corner

-Fold the flaps that you just made like you would a box

Ta da! Pretty easy, eh?

·
Chief Vegtable Grower :)
941 Posts
Excellent! I will have to make some right away!!! :worship: :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does the cardboard grow mold or fungus? If so how do you control it? Is it detrimental to the seedlings?
Liz in NH

·
le person
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done this before. I do question the "glue" in the rolls.
Yea, I doubted I was the first one to think of it. I don't think there is enough glue to worry about, it didn't hurt anything last year as far as I could tell.

Does the cardboard grow mold or fungus? If so how do you control it? Is it detrimental to the seedlings?
They do grow some white mold sometimes, but it has never hurt my plants. I did this last year and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I soaked one in water for about 10 minutes, started coming apart after the first 5. After 10 minutes, the roll was completely undone.

Thinking maybe this is a water-based glue.

Besides, if I owned a toiletpaperrollmakingfactory, I would probably use the cheapest glue I could find. It only needs to last the life of a roll. ;)

mc

R

·
0 Posts
Neat idea, thanks!

If you make a bigger tube out of say nice stiff card or wallpaper (wrap around a larger diameter tube or plastic cup, glue a 1/2" overlap, you can do the same thing and have a nice gift box for a small, light item
(you're making the cuts at both ends for a gift box). If you look at the pictures and either round off the corners or trim them carefully with pinking shears or decorative paper shears, it would look very nice too.

·
Bunny Poo Monger
3,067 Posts
mousecat33 said:
I soaked one in water for about 10 minutes, started coming apart after the first 5. After 10 minutes, the roll was completely undone.

Thinking maybe this is a water-based glue.

Besides, if I owned a toiletpaperrollmakingfactory, I would probably use the cheapest glue I could find. It only needs to last the life of a roll. ;)

mc
Don't have a url right off hand but I was told by someone that's allergic to corn that cornstarch and/or potato starch was used for the glue. She's very sensitive to corn and learned the glue is usually corn based.

If this is the case I don't think the glue would harm anyone other than those sensitive to that particular ingredient.

·
Registered
561 Posts
andalusianchik said:
Put a little spaghnum moss on top. No problem with damping off here in "humid" Virginia.

Or, in a spray bottle, fill with water and add a drop or two of liqiud dish soap and spray seedlings lightly, works for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts