Eastern Tn,wv:southwestern Va,nc,sc?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Dec 18, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

HI,my wife,daughter and I currently live in NJ,within the next 5 years we would like to move to another state.we live in a county that only a few years ago was a rural(at least for NJ)farming area,is now the land of condos and townhouses.I've posted befoe with a similar question about moving to ME,NH,VT or upstate NY but the information we got was a little grim about jobs,land prices and people.We are still considering NY because it's just so close.We're looking for enough peoperty to be able to have our privacy,hunt and have a woodlot for our home heating and maybe cooking needs.We'd like an area with snow.We intend to work so a decent job market is important.I've managed gun stores,run a landscape company and plowed snow.My wife has driven a school bus,been a 911 operator and managed a doctors office.Good,friendly people are very important to us.We need a good place to raise our child.
    In my research I've read some good things about the above mentioned states.Though I have read NC is getting crowded and expensive and the job market in VA and WV may not be the best.Any suggeations?Thankyou for any help you may give,BASIC.

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

WV would meet any of your requirements eccept for a job. 911 operators in our area, central WV, make less than $8.00/hr. In WV I'd look at areas within commuting distance of the Huntington-Charleston corridor and the Morgantown-Fairmont-Clarksburg/Bridgeport corridor. Another possibilty is the Phillipi-Buckhannon-Elkins area if you're serious about a job. Forget the eastern panhandle. Development has gone crazy.

Keep in mind between lower property prices and property taxes you won't need as much income as in NJ. Some cost of living items will be higher than NJ. The best thing to do is visit the areas you're interested in and throughly check them out. I wouldn't get in a hurry to move the way real estate has appreciated in NJ. I'd think the longer you wait, the more you'll have when you cash out.

3. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Darren,sir,thankyou for your response.BASIC.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'm sorry you didn't get more answers. i would have answered about east tn, except i rarely tell people about this place because i don't want a lot of new people moving in. it's bad enough as it is. there is a lot of homestead kind of growth in sw va, as well as around madison county nc, if you look in those areas.

5. luckypabst

luckypabst Active Member

No help to you but I'd like to chime in that Galax and Grayson county (VA) are just about tops on my list of where I'd like to settle down. Just as soon as I find my fortune here amongst all the milk and honey.

Galax is about the largest town in the general area I'd like to live so I figure my chances at finding a job there are the greatest, though there aren't many manufacturing jobs there for a machinist/welder like myself.

Chris

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

If you've got a place to sell, you might want to get it done ASAP and then hold the money for a year or so before buying again. The real estate bubble has got to hit top soon and start back down. You don't want to sell on the down-side, it would be best to sell now while it's still on the upside. Then wait until prices drop some before buying again, and you should be able to buy more place than you have now for less money (especially if you are moving to a less expensive area).

Kathleen

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Basic,

I just moved to SW VA from NJ myself..wonder what county you hail from!!! Sounds like Ocean perhaps. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you in making the move. You are welcome to e-mail me so we can chat at length without monopolizing the forum.

PQ