eastern red cedar daimeter??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Apr 13, 2005.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I have eastern red cedar available at a location in Kansas. I am not too familiar with this tree but was told it grows from 20 foot to 30 foot tall and is an evergreen. Bet it draw knifes realy easy! Does anyone know if this tree would be suitable for building a log house? I believe the most important question right now is what diameter does it grow to? I need something with a diameter of at least 10" in the middle. Thanks!

2. TnTnTn

TnTnTn Well-Known Member

Red cedar can get pretty large in diameter. I have seen some 24" or even 36" but they are more commonly about 10-12" or so . Of course it depends on their age etc. Red cedar has a very red, oily aromatic heartwood that comprises about 70% of a raw log's diameter. The red heartwood is very durable but not too strong and somewhat brittle. It whittles and carves very well. The white sapwood is not as durable but should be ok for a pole cabin if it is protected by overhanging eaves. Logging red cedar can be irritating as the leaves and numerous tiny branches are irritating and prickly. The trunk has dozens of branches live and dead coming off all the way up.

When I was young I came across an abandoned solid red cedar cabin at an old homestead made of hand hewn logs 16-18" across.(red heartwood only) Someone later moved it. It will probably last near forever. TnTnTn

3. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

Thank you. That's the info I was looking for... They said there is 120 acres full of it so hopefully I should be able to find what I need out of all that. Yea, I figured logging these evergreens would be very agitating. Got any logging tips for these trees?

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

My great,great grand-daddy built his house of cedar logs when they came to Texas. I've been in log houses made of cedar before 1850. They wwere sound and sure smelled good.
    Ed

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

A neighbor of mine was cutting the sap wood off Cedar for a company that makes Log Cabins.

I would think it would be hardgetting the sap wood off with a Draw Knife because of where the limbs come out.Unless you had a bunch that come out of old growth that didn't have limbs.

big rockpile