Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have one hen and one rooster. They are essentially pets so that is all we have. Our hen is an Easter Egger and has been laying these really pretty light green eggs all summer, but about two weeks ago her egg color starting varying day by day. Even when she lays two eggs in the same day, they are not the same color. I grew up with chickens and this just isn’t something that happens so I’m at a loss here. Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
pretty eggs
I agree with robin - the season change or molt. My easter Eggers eggs got lighter in color over the past month and now they aren't laying at all and two went through a molt

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
My Easter Eggers go from a darker olive/teal at the start of the year to a very light green/almost white toward the end (and then molting), but they haven't completely changed color like that. I have one that lays speckled eggs and they're always speckled even if the color slowly fades. That is odd.

You sure you don't have another hen sneaking in there?

·
Registered
852 Posts
No.

None of that makes sense. You have more than one hen laying in the nest. Egg color can change slightly, but will not turn into a totally different color. And what solidifies that theory is the fact that hens absolutely do not lay 2 eggs a day.

Pics of your rooster, please. 🤔 Do your neighbors have chickens?

·
Premium Member
24,810 Posts
The big one might be a double yolk, which sometimes happens along with a slight difference in color. At least that's how it works with Golden Comets and White Rocks. I never got a double yolk from my Easter Eggers in 8 years of having them. So you might be right about there being 3 birds hiding somewhere nearby.

Can you put a game cam near the nest to find out what is giving you extra eggs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No.

None of that makes sense. You have more than one hen laying in the nest. Egg color can change slightly, but will not turn into a totally different color. And what solidifies that theory is the fact that hens absolutely do not lay 2 eggs a day.

Pics of your rooster, please. 🤔 Do your neighbors have chickens?
I know it doesn’t make sense. That’s why I’m so confused here. This is driving me crazy bc it doesn’t add up.

I live in a subdivision and I’m the only one with chickens. Here are my chickens and their home. It’s pretty secure, so I don’t think another hen could sneak in even if another neighbor had one lol

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The big one might be a double yolk, which sometimes happens along with a slight difference in color. At least that's how it works with Golden Comets and White Rocks. I never got a double yolk from my Easter Eggers in 8 years of having them. So you might be right about there being 3 birds hiding somewhere nearby.

Can you put a game cam near the nest to find out what is giving you extra eggs?
We have a few extra game cams so we might just give that a try. Since I just have one hen and one rooster in a secure pin/coop, I’m not sure how anything else could get in though. No one else has chickens for at least a ten mile radius so it would have to be one hustling hen to get in and out without us noticing lol I guess you never know though so it doesn’t hurt to investigate with recorded footage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easter eggers don't often lay 2 eggs a day. Most chickens don't lay 2 eggs a day. Are you sure the other is a roo?
Well, all of the eggs are fertilized and the other looks like a roo and crows like a roo 🤷🏻‍♀️ She typically doesn’t lay two eggs a day. Just every so often. When she does, the second one is typically around 6/7 at night.

·
Registered
852 Posts
All of our eggs are fertilized though? We’ve even hatched a chick??? What in the world is going on 🙃
Did you hatch eggs right after you got them? Like within a month of getting the chickens? That would make sense. If they are still fertile than I dunno.... but I definitely see 2 hens in those pics. There is a trait called 'hen feathered' but I do not think it applies to your breed of birds. I mean, we could explore the possibilities of hermaphroditism or parthenogenesis but I think the answer is probably much more simple.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All of our eggs are fertilized though? We’ve even hatched a chick??? What in the world is going on 🙃
This little chick (not so little now) lives with my father in law on his farm. We hatched him to let our girls experience the whole process through observing and then moved him over there bc, well, our space isn’t really large enough to hold more than two chickens.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Does your "rooster" crow? Is it a totally normal, typical crow? I still think its a hen. I have had a few hens crow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you hatch eggs right after you got them? Like within a month of getting the chickens? That would make sense. If they are still fertile than I dunno.... but I definitely see 2 hens in those pics. There is a trait called 'hen feathered' but I do not think it applies to your breed of birds. I mean, we could explore the possibilities of hermaphroditism or parthenogenesis but I think the answer is probably much more simple.
She wasn’t laying yet when we got her. We purchased these two around Easter and we didn’t see the first egg until July. We hatched from one of the eggs she laid her first week of laying though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts