East Texas land ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by thedonkeyman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

I have a family that is living in a SWAMP in west Louisiana and would like to move, but is there any place, say in east Texas that is reasonable. Does any one know of land around Palistine ? They have Donkeys and will need room, 40 acres ? Condition of house is not that important. Good water is. Right now they have TO MUCH water and to much mold.
    thedonkeyman

2. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I really don't know about prices of land.

One thing I would caution, check into the coal situation in the area. The coal company is gathering up land on farther north from Palestine - into NE Texas. They had bought a large tract just a couple of years ago and said they wouldn't go any farther for 10 years. They have now started on the next lot.

The plans are to build several coal burning plants in Texas - I have heard 11 and I have heard 16 - so don't know for sure. I just assumed the fact they were buying more land was in anticipation of the power plants.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Do they need to be near jobs?

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Why not look in the Tyler/Longview area? A lot of pretty areas. Also, the Marshall/Jefferson area is nice with easy access to Shreveport for jobs if needed.

5. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses. These are good country people and got a BAD deal on a SWAMP. They purchased it in the DRY season and now are flooded out.
    They would like to live out of town on several acres. House is not all that important. Good water is. They want their children to be raised in the country.

6. countryrn

countryrn Well-Known Member

Mount Pleasant/Gilmer/Pittsburg is a nice area, too. Jobs with Pilgrim's Pride or Priefert or Big Tex Trailers if that is important. Land is very reasonable.