east coast road trip

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by trixiwick, May 5, 2005.

1. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Hi, folks. DH and I are planning to spend about a week and a half after Christmas driving down the east coast to Florida and up again. We're in PA (near the borders with DE and MD). Anybody got suggestions for cool things to see/do along the way? Our schedule is wide open and all suggestions will be considered!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Do not miss Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, its a Federal Display Site full of things you want to see. As far as the Tragic Kingdom- Dismal World goes - dumpster dive instead. Sea World is about as impressive as Wallys Gator World also - also a place to waste dollars. See the state offered things, they are much better than the greed things. Playalinda Beach is beyond bueatiful, if you can find it, near Port Canaveral/ Cooca Beach.

3. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

If you like history, I HIGHLY recoment Charleston, SC...........go on a carriage ride and see Rainbow row and the battery and the slave markets, it is SUCH a neat city. :) It is also easy to make a day in charleston on the cheap if you like to walk around and see history.

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

don't forget Disney World's greenhouse and flower gardens !! Lots of ideas for you !!! How about Assateague Island where the wild horses roam on the beaches of Maryland at their state park. Check and see when they have their yearly wild horse auction down that way too..interesting. Smokey Mountains has a wonderful park to visit. I don't know if you are planning on going the rt 95..but don't take that highway.... west 81 to Carlise, PA and head out of town through Maryland, Va etc that way. It's a nice highway and a lot of places you can stop on the way. Tell us when you are leaving and we will ALL be packed and waiting for you to pick us up on the way !!! Have a cup of coffee at the Waffle Houses on your way...a great steak and eggs breakfast for only a few buck too !! Have a Great Time !!! :)

5. TennOC

TennOC Member

There's an old part of St. Augustine Fla. that is interesting, if you're a history buff.

6. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Go see the Luray Caverns in WV.. love um..

KC~

7. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I would take the Metro Rail into DC for a day and go up the Washington Monument and visit some of the Smithsonianan museums. The National Geographic society is headquarted there and frequently has interesting programs.
    I would join the International Hostels- I will google the site- many of them either has coed dorms or family rooms and the prices are very reasonable. You do need to bring your own towels and linens. You can use the kitchens to fix your own breakfasts and dinners.

I also enjoyed a quick visit to Savannah's historic district.

In Virginia, the historical areas around Jamestsown and Williamsburg are fascinating. They recreate early English colonial life.

In florida, around Xmas, you will right in the middle of hiking and canoing season. It is also manatee season- the manatees gather in the headwaters of Florida springs. I suggest contacting The Florida TRail Association for information on hiking trails. One beautiful trip my troop went on annually was the 36 mile hike from Lake Wales River Ranch Resort to Lorida outside Sebring. You get to see whooping and sandhill cranes, eagles, armidillos, turkey, deer, etc etc. We skipped this year because the hurricanes trashed the trail, but there's a chance it will be up and running by winter.

There are some fantastic canoe paddles also along the Ichetucknee (day trip) Wekiva River (day trip) Estero River (day trip) Calosahatchee River (Multi Day) Suwannee River (multi day) Also there are houseboat rentals on the Suwannee near White City and St Johns River near Deland.

There is a world famous EXPENSIVE restaurant named Chalet Suzanne in Lak Wales, if you want to experience it I would go at lunchtime. They have a private airport for their patrons. Have a wonderful trip.

8. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

Don't know if you or yours are into micro brews, but if you are then I would HIGHLY reccomend The Tap House in Norfolk VA. It's one of those little places that not too many people outside of the 'locals' know about:

Tap House Bar and Grill
    931 West 21st St, Norfolk 23517 • 757-627-9172

They have pretty good food too! :)

9. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Thanks very much for all of your suggestions, and keep 'em coming! Lots of cool stuff to do, makes me wish we had more time. Gleepish, thanks for the restaurant tip, since that's something else I should have put in my first post. I love those non-chain, out-of-the-way restaurants and I LOVE southern food, so any dining suggestions would be very welcome.

Hey, maybe I'll go visit oz in SC and see if he's any good as a cook!

10. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Sorry, Canuck, but has it been awhile since you've been there? Luray Caverns are in Virginia, as in WestERN Virginia, in the Shenandoah region. Maybe they moved them since you were last there? :p

11. MMyers1

MMyers1 Well-Known Member

Texas, Residing in DFW area, working toward North
    Stone Mountain in Ga.

If you are willing to veer off the east coast a bit, Lynchburg, Tennessee is the home of Jack Daniel's Distillary. Even if you do not drink whiskey, the tour is VERY interesting!

12. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

There used to be a place called Petes Tent Top in the same area as the Tap House, but I don't know if it still is. If you go, ask around--it has lots of fame in the area along with the BEST and most unusual sandwiches and pastas. My favorite from them was a turkey sandwich: raisin bread-3 slices, turkey, apple slices, almond slivers, tomatoes and lettuce w/mayo--it was like a party in your mouth!

I hope you enjoy your trip. This year we are driving to New Mexico and will be camping throughout the souther half of the state--I love car trips! I also suggest picking up a copy of Roadside America their website is:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

But you can also get the book here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...6/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1017356-7975348

You know when you get back, you'll have to post lots of pictures! :)