Easiest way to introduce boar to sows?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by farmgirl756, May 29, 2005.

1. farmgirl756

farmgirl756 Member

I have 3 sows that all get along well, and i just purchased a boar. I put him in the pen with them and they attacked him and would not let him be. I put a partition in the pen where they can sniff each other, to maybe get used to him. The place where I purchased the boar from, the sows and boar were kept together all the time. Someone told me I should not put them together until they are in heat. Any advice?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

That's a normal reaction to a strange hog in the herd. Keeping them seperated but where they can see and smell each other for a few days is a good idea.

It's fine to keep the boar and sows together until the sows are close to farrowing. You'll want to have somewhere to move the boar to because the boars will sometimes kill the pigs.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This is probably one of those questions that will get a lot of different responses. Mine is: In a pen -type situation keep them apart until the sows are in heat. Your new boar is disoriented right now and is getting the sow's wrath but not for long. Boars can be pushy and obnoxious to sows unless the sows are in heat. They will hog the feed and hog the water (probably why we use the term "hog.") In a pasture situation with more space, I'd say let them stay together. They'd have enough space to stay out of each other's way. I kept my boar apart. He was too pushy to the sows except for those 24 hours when he was Valentino courting a sow in standing heat.

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

If the boar was a young one, the sows may have scared him good for life. It happens. Keeping a boar in with the sows may result in messed up cycle's for the sows. Limited exposure will help to ensure an estrus cycle. We keep our boar in his own pen. When the sows/gilts show signs of cycling, we run him over to their pen. They have face to face contact. If she is ready to be bred, she will have a "standing heat", which means an enzyme reaction happens in her chemistry and she will not move for a good 10 minutes. Her ears will perk and she will stand rigid. Only then can you put the boar in the pen. We don't natural breed, but artificial inseminate, so when we are done, we run him back to his pen. We use plywood panels, as he is reluctant to go.