earwig control

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Sue C, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Sue C

Sue C Member

Any suggestions for a backyard with amazing abilities to grow these creatures? It has been so moist this summer the earwigs are abounding! A friend has a 7 mth old and would like to be prepaired for next spring when the little one is out and about. It took 14 very long years to have this child who is a hemophiliac. No chemicals what-so-ever are used around him, they keep everything as natural as they can. I think I heard that growing chrysanthemums kept them away but I'm not sure.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

chickens love em!

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I haven't noticed as many since encouraging praying mantis; as much as I hate bugs, I've resisted the involuntary urge to squash those that wander over my hands while I'm weeding or picking. *shivers* I don't spray with anything but Sunlight dishwashing detergent (the handwashing liquid) mixed up fairly strong with water. Worth a try. Sorry for the repeat endorsement; I really should get paid for all the times I suggest it but it deters birds and bugs so I'm sold on it!

katy

4. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

Katy, does it work on slugs?
    Mickey

5. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Mickey,
    I really don't know but I'd sure try! It wasn't until you mentioned them that I realized I haven't had slugs at my place in at least 5 years despite the wet years; even the grubs and rolly pollies are gone or under control. The only bugs I see are praying mantis, bees, wasps, butterflies and ladybugs; they just wandered in and decided to stay.

I discovered Sunlight about 18 years ago when I grew mugo pines which became infested with some disgusting green worm/caterpillar. I sprayed them mightily with my "last resort/now standby" and they died; sadly, so did the pines--too late I guess. This year the catbirds were stealing my blackberries but, after a few doses of SL, they left them alone. I'd much rather "soap" plants than dust them with Sevin or spray Malathion. Do I use chemicals? Yes. Malathion "gently" for scale on 3 ornamentals and that pesky apricot that, according to experts, should have been dead 5 years ago; dishwater doesn't fix everything.

katy

6. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll pick some up and try it on my hostas. Will let you know how it works:)
    Mickey

7. Diatomacous (sp?) earth controls earwigs. Sprinkle on the plants and the ground.

8. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Ducks like them too,, and they tend not to dig up your garden like the chickens can.
    We also tend to have lots of problems with those yucky little nastys,, but with the ducks running the garden a couple days a week,, we have seen a big difference.

9. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Guinneas to the rescue!!

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Take a terra cotta pot, stuff it full of hay, hang it upside down on a rebar stake at about the level of the plants. Come out in the mornings and throw the stuffing out to the chickens. Restuff and continue on. That is supposed to collect a lot of earwigs.

Sandi