Earthworm sorter plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Mar 19, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Looking for plans for a worm sorter. Did find ones for sale, but asking here because I am cheap by necessity!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I use ventilation restricted forced migration and a aerated trap as a harvester and a plywood sorting table to manage my bait buisness. I didnt want to pay $2k , so I built this rig for $15 to harvest 2 to 3 pounds at a time.

4. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

So Jay, Can you translate that into simple English- I've been sorting my worms by hand for the last few years-it can really eat up the hours when I get several orders in one day. Tried several ideas but most of them take more time than hand sorting. Thanks,Daryll in NW FLA

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Not finding anything yet I am going to build my consept of what it should be. I will creat a card table size frame with a sheet metal chute underneath, that will carry off worm and eggs plus casting materials that will fit between 1/4 inch mesh of hardware cloth. On the open top there will be a sliding rectangle frame, which will hold about 2 gallons of mixed materials, that will be shifted and tapped to the end to dislodge the smaller portions of the worm, soil mix through the mesh. Of course I exspect to have to experiment with mesh size.