Earth Box - Used one??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by diane, Jan 31, 2005.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I got a couple of "Earth Boxes" given to me for Christmas. I am wondering if anyone has ever used one. It has this covering that you are suppose to put the seeds through by making a little hole. I can see making holes for the seedlings....but the seeds?? Will I get decent results if I don't use their method?

2. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I have three Earth boxes and if I am planting seeds I don't use the plastic covering. You have to fill the water area more often as the plastic keeps it from drying out. I mostly use plants in them with the plastic, cukes and tomatoes. They usually produce much earlier than the garden-planted vegies. I really like them! Rita

3. Infowarrior

Infowarrior New Member

Just pull the plastic back then plant your seeds and recover with plastic. These work fantastic, we have several and its amazing how well they work!!! - Dave

4. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Earth Box??
    Link I’ve never seen one, never used one.
    Like to know what they are and how to use them.
    John#4

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Ditto

6. dare2b

dare2b crone

Ditto for me, too.

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

8. KendraB225

KendraB225 Member

I've used them with and without the plastic cover. It gets too hot here for the cover.

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

What are they made from? Can they be replicated at home?

10. DixieKay027

DixieKay027 Member

I got an Earth Box last year and I really liked it,I never did use the plastic cover(I don't have a clue where it is now).
    ~Kay

11. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Spent an hour last night researching this and then today I see a post about it :eek:

Anyway, the most interesting discussion I came across, including instructions with photos of how to build a look-alike came from the Gardenweb forum

You can go and take a look without joining,

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

This will bring you to the mainpage see "the main forum page" in the first paragraph go down the forum list page and choose "container gardening". The title is "Homemade selfwater container or E box" with the date May 04. I bumped it up but there are so many users that it might slide down to another page by the time you get there.

Hope this helps someone.
    sylvia

12. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia........I figured that gardenweb would have a bunch of discussion on them. I just avoid going there unless I have a lot of time to kill as I end up spending hours and hours. One night after supper I visited the daylily section and at 2:00 AM found myself touring a garden in Japan. :haha: Great place to visit when I don't have a ton going on :cool: