Earth bag structure

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mem, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Hi y'all;

I'm looking to build a small earthbag structure. Does anyone know of a source where I can get the bags -- I've already got plenty of filling.

Thanks

MEM

2. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything to tell me the difference between an earthbag and a sandbag. If they are the same, here is a company I have used:

http://www.esandbags.com/b.html

3. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

You probably couldn't find any info on it as it is most often referred to as "super adobe" (coined by the Cal earth folks).

If you can find a bag printer in your area you might be able to find the precut bags nearby. If not you can order direct through Cal-Earth here....

http://www.calearth.org/bagorder.htm

good luck,

J

4. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if plastic woven feed bags that have been used can be "recycled" for earthbag building? I have access to a lot of people using these, and thought it'd be the easiest way to build with this design.

Tim

5. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I would think the feed bags would work, I save them all thinking that they will all come in handy one of these days. I noticed at the feed store that they have a nifty sowing machine for closing the bags up, you might be able to borrow or rent one of these for nice, neat, uniform, bags.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

This guy is in Hesperia,ca.We have been to his place,but he isnt like Mr. friendly,more of a business man.Guess he got too many lookyloos or something.

BooBoo

7. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

Here are a few resources I've found.

Cady Industries Inc - PO BOX 2087 memphis TN. Tel: 901-527-6569 (800)622-3695 - Offers a wide variety of different size misprint bags (cheap) including gusseted and burlap, tubes on a role and other specialty items.

Check out the Thomas Register at your local library.

PolyTex Fibers Corporation - (800)628-0034, Offers misprints, regular poly and gusseted, burlap and tubes on a roll.

Kansas City Bag Co. (800)-584-5666, Bag Brokers and Distributors.

The book: "Earthbag Building, the tools, tricks and techniques" is a fantastic resource. I currently live the town of the authors and have gotten to see a tremendous amount of the their work, as well as the home on the cover photo of their book. Amazing is selling the structures short. I recommend this book to anyone looking to build anything from a rabbit hutch to a full on earthship home. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...f=pd_bbs_1/002-9520136-1721662?_encoding=UTF8

Good luck.