Ears

Discussion in 'Goats' started by b3hummers, May 8, 2005.

1. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

This is our first goat so I don't know what is normal or not. Her ears started out being pointed, now the tops of each ear are hard and coming loose from the rest of the ear. One just fell off and now the ear is rounded. It bleed a little at the very top of the curve part of the ear. Is this normal?

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

what kind of goat do you have? that might help someone else give you information.

3. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Did this start after freezing weather?
    Chas

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Sounds exactly like frostbite. If it is, it's too late to do anything. You can put some aloe vera on the raw edge of the ear. My Dr. recommended aloe vera when I got my ears frostbitten.

5. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

She is a pgymy goat and is 2 months old. It's not from frostbite. She was either in the house or in a heated shop till about 2 weeks ago. This started happening shortly after we got her. It is just the tip. Now the ear is rounded instead of being pointed.

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with the frostbite. It likely happened right after birth, and is just now showing up visibly with the ear tips coming off. They don't usually just fall right off after it happens -- it takes quite a while.

Tracy