Earmites

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rannie, Mar 28, 2006.

1. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

I had posted before about earmites and got great response. i tried the olive oil with a couple of drops of ecucalyptus oil in it. it has worked great on 3of the bunnies but one is still having trouble her ear actually looks as if it may fall off. within a weeks time it has just gotten worst. i didn't want to use antibiotics but now i'm not so sure , should i use the oil again? or what should i do my husband has an answer but she is supposed to make more bunnies for sale not be for supper and anyways if she is ill i won't eat her. oh what should i do? Rannie

2. wilded

wilded Well-Known Member

3. khowellrn

khowellrn Well-Known Member

I go to WalMart or the feed store and buy "Pet Care ear mite lotion and preventative". What I use is made by Durvet, but there are a hundred different brands. It works in a day or two. I dose the affected rabbit, and use just a smear in the ears of the other rabbits as a preventative. I also use a smear in every rabbits ears that go to show or fair, to prevent bringing any mites home.
    The main ingredient is pyrethrin, which is safe for use an people and animals...(of course people dont get ear mites but they do get head lice, which is cured with pyrethrin!) The bottle states it is for puppies and kittens and not meat or milk animals, however I researched it on a WHO website and the reports state it actually is safe for use as parasite control on meat and dairy animals.
    It's cheap, safe, extremely effective and available over the counter.

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

This is fool proof. Go to your feed store and get pour on ivormect for cattle. It is expensive but will last a very long time. 3 drops to the back of the neck on the rabbit. It will clear it up in a couple days. Repeat in a week if necessary but I have never had to do this.

5. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

Ditto for me, Ivormect is the way to go.

Jay