Early wee ones

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mawalla, Dec 17, 2006.

1. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

We got our first lambs of the season this morning, twins. They were unexpected, but not a total surprise since I failed to get the February born ram lamb, which we were keeping, out of the ewe pasture until about August. That will teach me to get lazy. I may be having a few more girls dropping lambs here sooner than expected.

This ewe had lambed in February of this year. She is 1/2 Dorset, 1/4 Suffolk, and 1/4 Romanov. The proud papa is 3/4 St. Croix and 1/4 Dorset. The ewe lamb out of this batch will definatly be another off season breeder! She is dark brown like her Romanov great grandsire and the ram lamb is white. Crazy genetics!

Unfortunatly, momma doesn't seem to want to accept the ram lamb. We are keeping an eye on the situation and have already gotten colostrum into him to give him a chance. Both lambs are frisky, so far. I'm hoping that we can make momma change her mind about the little guy. Wish us luck.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Did you put her in a "lambing pen"? Some people will also use a headgate to make the ewe allow the lamb to nurse. It's said that after they nurse for a while they pick up the ewes scent and she will recognize them as hers then

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Pictures, pictures, pictures! Hope you're okay with your bottle baby. I've got a friend who has one ewe that continually rejects one of her twins. She nearly culled her this year, but she's got a tremenous fleece (I got it both last and this year) and passes that along to her offspring. My friend told me I was getting a bottle baby in the spring if she rejects one more time. I'm anxiously awaiting!

4. mawalla

I always jug my ewes for a day or two after they lamb. We don't have a head gate but fashioned one yesterday to try to get her to let him nurse. He was actually just too weak to be able to suck from her. After about 12 hours of syringe feeding him he finally passed his micomium and has that lovely yellow pudding like poop that lambs are supposed to have. (I did the happy dance at work when the black gunk finally passed. But, since I work at a vet's, my co-workers and bosses understood and didn't think me too strange.) He actually sucked from the bottle tonight and took 2oz. He is in the jug with sister and mom so he will remember he is a sheep. There is an area in it where the lambs can get into but the ewes can't so he can avoid being butted if the ewe decides she hates him. If I can get him through the first three days he may have a chance. I'm going down to the barn right now to check on and feed him again.

The ewe lamb is doing great, BTW. The girls have named her "Aiediel" (not sure of the spelling) which means "Morning Star" in elvish. (Yep, Elvish. My daughters are very much into the Christopher Paolini books!)

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Morning star, like Morningstar Farms, the breakfast sausage? :rolleyes:

I'm an elf-snob. If it's not Quenya or Sindarin, its not elvish. :baby04:

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Good luck with him!! Sounds like he's "over the hump" now

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Some scholars have argued that the Christmas story could not have happened in December because the shepherds wouldn't have had lambs in their flocks or some such.

I guess that argument is flawed.

8. mawalla

OH NO! :eek: She is black and brown with a white star on her forehead. And, of course, she was born in the morning. I must correct the spelling since I looked it up, it is "Aiedail" - The Morning Star. They got it from the book ERAGON, in the section on the ancient languages.

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Me and my brother LOVE That book, we can't wait for the next installment! Congrats on the babies, good luck with the boy. P.S. We just had a bull calf born today and the first thing my brother wanted to name him was Eragon, but I decided against it, although it might be his name, I haven't truly made up my mind yet. Good luck with the little ones. Bye.

10. mawalla

GoatFreak:

Have you read the 2nd book, ELDEST, yet? It, too, is good. I found both to be quite violent, however. But then so is HP and I like those books, too.

The little guy is holding his own. He is taking between 3 - 5 ounces of milk per feeding now. I gave him a shot of an antibiotic today because of the "snurggle" I hear in his chest. He received .10ml of Draxcel, SQ. He didn't care for being stuck!

11. The_Shepherdess

The_Shepherdess Alannaeowyn

Yeah, Suburbanite, Tolkien's elves are best. Congrats on the lambs, Mawalla! Incidentally, I do own Eragon and Eldest. Seen the movie yet?

12. mawalla

Yes we saw the movie. I had to take the girls and their friends to it on opening night. It was quite an event! I was a bit dissapointed in the movie, I can't quite pin point why. But the special effect were terrific, best looking movie dragon I've seen!

BTW, the little ram lamb that we are bottle raising is doing wonderful. He has really come around from questionable survival to a bouncing bundle of wool!

We had another set of twins born last night around 7pm. We had just gotten home from an over night trip and went out to check on the animals. One lamb had just been born and by the time I went to the barn to put bedding down in the jug and get back to the ewe she had had the other one. All are fine. The girls are calling the lambs "Elvis" and "Prisilla".