Early Sweet Corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DAVEOO8, Feb 3, 2004.

1. DAVEOO8

DAVEOO8 Member

Was just wandering,what type of early sweet corn would be good to sell at farmers market or roadside market. Here in WV the main corp of good late season corn isnt ready to sale until mid or early aug. Was just wanting to get started selling before aug. & thought some one out there might know of a good early variaty.

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Ours wasn't an early variety but once it was planted we watered and fertilized heavily. We were done with the corn crop by August. We planted the white variety as well as a peaches and cream variety. We liked the white better and it lasted longer. We didn't have any to sell at our farm market. This year we will stagger it more over the whole year. What other vegies do you sell at the market that do well?

3. DAVEOO8

DAVEOO8 Member

Hi Hank, ty for the reply.I started selling veggies about 3yrs ago, I sell ,corn beans tomatoes, squash cukes, & melons if i have them. Here in WV the beans r halfrunners,i sell them to the 2 roadside markets near here. Cant grow enough of them.Sell my corn from the back of the truck on a vacant lot at a very busy intersection near here.About a mile from here is row after row of milloin$$$$ homes so there is plenty of bussiness just a mile away.I try to stagger my stuff too, but last yr mother nature had other ideas. A very late frost & then a flood messed up that idea.lol. Like growing heirloom melons too ,going to try to do good enough with them this yr to sell a few.PPL around here like halfrunner beans,& Sweet corn sells really good too. Tomatoes & cukes sell good to & it doesnt seem to matter what kind they r as long as they r fresh & home grown.

4. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

We use a 65 day Bi-color called "Quickie".This has really been a good producer for us.I normally plant about 2ac. of this early stuff then switch to a 82 day bi-color.So when the Farmers Markets we do start to get flooded with corn we are done with corn and don't have cut prices.Something else that does well is a small watermelon called "Yellow Doll",the seed is not cheap but these melons sell very well.We start these in the greenhouse then transplant,I have direct seeded these also but with the transplants we can get melons much sooner.
    Here is the seed co. that we deal with,they have a good commercial grower catalog.Rupp Seed Co.

5. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

The 2 earliest sweet corn we grow (zone 5) is Bodacious an all yellow that matures at 72 days; and Bon Appetit a bi-color that matures in 73 days. We have had very good luck with both of these at our corn stand. We can't pick it fast enough on weekends. We also grow Kandy Korn an all yellow, 89 days; Sunset a bi-color, 84 days; and Silver Queen, an all white, 92 days. My husband staggers the planting so we have corn ready for picking mid-July thru Labor Day. We also sell beans, peppers, tomatoes, etc. We sell strings of braided garlic too and it also is a good seller. Our stand is on a US Route and has been in my husband's family for over 35 years. We leave the tractor and wagon load in front of the stand and sell out of it. People like knowing that the corn is fresh and that it is grown on the same property that they are buying from.