Early Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rocket, Jul 14, 2006.

1. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I know it's only July, but my Prizewinner Pumpkins (a maxima variety) already have 5 very orange and ripe looking pumpkins, probably about 100 lbs each. I'm only growing these for Halloween and wouldn't expect them to be very good eating.

So, first, does anyone know if these will last on the vine until Halloween? I'm worried that they'll just rot on the vine. And second, if I do pick them off, can I expect the vines to produce another batch of pumpkins? And if I do pick them early, any ideas for what to do with them? (other than make compost, LOL)

2. GR8PMKN

GR8PMKN Well-Known Member

Halloween is still close to 75 days away. That is a long tome for a mature pumpkin to sit in a garden. If you clipped it from the vine and put it in a cool dry area it would last that long. Wipe it down with a 10% bleach solution.

3. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

"I know it's only July, but my Prizewinner Pumpkins (a maxima variety) already have 5 very orange and ripe looking pumpkins, probably about 100 lbs each. I'm only growing these for Halloween and wouldn't expect them to be very good eating."
    I have the similar thing going on....mine were "volunteer" from last year's Halloween pumpkin......they took off early and have set on some magnificent pumpkins, but two days ago, I spotted one nearly all orange! Was amazed....none of my other fall gourds or squash have matured at that same rate....I don't see how they can last til fall!

4. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I'm in a different zone and my pumpkins are just getting ready to bloom!
    If it was my patch I would check to see if more blossoms are coming along.
    IF you cut the pumpkins off they will be done for sure! and even with a bleach bath will likely not make it.
    If those are like Big Max they will be orange sooner than other varieties,but will not be ripe yet hopefullyDid they start out light yellow when 6/8 inches diameter?
    I would personally leave them on in my zone,or at the most try cutting off a couple plants fruit to see if the vine survives to start more fruit.
    Chas