Earliest possible

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Abouttime, May 31, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

What is the earliest possible age for a doe (Alpine/Boer, etc mix) to be in heat? My 4 month buckling, got in with his Mom and sister yesterday and I'm concerned.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a Boer/Oberhasli doeling that freshened as a 7 month old, she bred at two months of age........a 4 month old doeling can certainly come in heat. Were there any signs of heat??

3. Abouttime

I'm embarrassed to tell you that until I saw them together and him acting "manly" I hadn't thought so, but now that I am paying particular attention, she seems somewhat swollen and stood still for him. Last week I saw him almost bent double (by himself in his own enclosure) showing off. What are my options at this point?

4. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Sounds like you may be gonna have babies. I have seen my three month old doelings in heat already. It sounds like time to let go of self-recrimination and look into the best possible diet for a (possibly) bred doeling! I bet the more experienced breeders would have suggestions on that. I would worry that there has to be a balance. Mama needs max nutrition but, on the other hand, you don't want the baby to be too big.

Good luck! I hope she's not bred but if she is you can only do your best.

Lynn in CO

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If it were my doeling I would push the alfalfa pellets the whole pregnancy and give limited grain throughout the pregnancy. You want the doeling to grow herself as much as possible without growing the babies inside too big....and pray for multiple births instead of one big baby! Also, write down the date the breeding occurred, figure out the due date and pay very close attention at the time of kidding so you can be present to assit is needed.

6. ozark_jewels

Yep, thats what I'd do to!! Most likely she'll be fine, but be sure to attend the birth just in case you are needed......

7. Abouttime

Thanks for the suggestions-I currently feed alfalfa pellets, although none of them seem particularity fond of them. I was wondering if anybody would suggest sacrificing the baby to save the mother-is that not a common practice with goats or is the health risk not that great to a too young doe bred by her brother? (These are my first goats)

8. ozark_jewels

In my opinion.....aborting the doe would be my last choice in this situation. At four months she should be big enough to handle it, as she will have five months to grow before the kid needs to be born. If you are worried about inbreeding(I don't like to inbreed that close, some folks do), just cull the kid/s at weaning. Sell them as pets or meat to take them out of the gene pool. I hate to abort unless I absolutely have too.....and I haven't had to yet, in 6 years of raising goats and many too early breedings......Good luck!

9. Abouttime

Thanks again for the benefit of yrs of experience. I was purging my soul yesterday by reading all I could find and the consensus seemed to be under 70lbs or 7 months was reason to fear. My main concern is not the inbreeding, but the life of the doe.

10. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, I had a pygmy doe that got pregnant at 2 months & Goatfreak had one at one month. Maybe she'll pop in too.

Most of the advice I was given was an abortion shot. Now granted, mine was a pygmy doe and at 2 months old, tiny. However vet insisted she could not possibly get pregnant. So no shot.

He got an emergency call from me 5 months later. My doe had a single buckling. With a big head :grump: . After her pushing & my & my mother-in-laws pulling, & feeling, there was no posssible way we were going to deliver him.

We trucked them off to the clinic & he was pulled from the lower jaw, only that much of him fit thru the pelvis. Now his jaw was broken & mom was terribly sore, but we have both today. His mom is very fine boned. Very dairy like, not pygmy at all, except in coloring & height. Was she stunted? Hmmm, I don't think so, but since she is so small framed, no more babies from her. Her buck (now wether) is about right size for a pygmy. His jaw is fine, just a small bump & all of his lower teeth are very loose since he was a baby.

I didn't give her any grain her whole pregnancy, just a little pellets the last month. And a little alfalfa (her mom had foundered on it with her pregnancy, so was leery of too much). There's a thread here somewhere with pics of Petal & Thorn.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, & good luck.

mamahen

11. Abouttime

Thanks for the rambling-it's certainly encouraging-Most of the information I got from reading yesterday said the same thing-she's not pregnant-too small, too young, but I know you guys have the REAL experiences and possibilities. I'm glad your situation worked out well in the end-hopefully mine will as well.

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Yeah, we have a little mutt goat that freshned when she was 6 months 11 days old, she had a large single doeling without us there, we didn't think she was that far along, and she did just fine, she was put in with her mother and sister when it was time for her mother to be rebred and we had been told that they couldn't get pregnant until they were at least 4 months old, her sister didn't get pregnant though, thank god because she was the runt of the triplets. SInce then we have not put the babies in with the mom when it is time for the mom to be rebred, just in case, although I think that it was mostly the buck not the doeling, he has always been very friendly with other goats, if you get my meaning. Well see ya, bye.

13. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Young, small doelings usually have single kids. If this were my goat, I would seriously consider getting a shot of lute from the vet and aborting the doe. If you choose to retain the pregnancy, it's vitally important that someone be there to assist the birth as she may require a C section. Boer babies can get pretty big.

14. ozark_jewels

My Boer kids have as a general rule, been no bigger than my Alpine, Nubian, Lamancha or mixed kids. I have yearling dairy doelings kidding out to my FB Boer buck with single kids....no problems. Not saying it *can't* happen......but its not a forgone conclusion. And this buckling and doeling are Alpine/Boer.....right?

15. Abouttime

16. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I have a 3 month old 50%Boer-Lamancha wether, 3mo old 50%Boer-Sanaan,and 5mo old 50%Boer-Nubian that live peacefully with my herd of pygmys. After reading your stories, I wonder if I should be concerned of my 3mo old doe Mary. She is constantly jumping into the buck pen. I figured she was to young and I had never seen my buck be assertive. But Yikes I better keep a better eye on her or strange things could occur:)

17. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

You have VERY cute goats Abouttime!

18. Abouttime

Thanks, GF-They are my first and I am totally enamored with them. That's why I want to do the right thing by my little doe. The twins still nurse their mom, which makes it seem like a child having a child!

19. ozark_jewels

Abouttime.....I don't think there is even a smidge of Boer in your goats......=) Or if there is, its a very small amount. Boer coloring is VERY dominant and its just not there in those guys. The body-type.....well, its really hard to say till they hit adulthood. Right now they just look like kids still. With the frosted ears and nose and the halfway floppy ears, I am going to say a Nubian cross. And the doe does look like some possible Alpine.....but the coloring in an Alpine cross is usually very strong and yours don't have it. The kids look more Nubian than their dam. Very cute by the way....=)

20. Abouttime

Emily-for ease of birth, the breeds you suspect, what if anything does that mean?