Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does has a vertically folded ear, which is cleaned out about once a month.
Last year after her kids hit the ground, she started to rub her head on my face.
She has continued this... display of affection? Or does her ear need attention?
Today she was rubbing her face on mine. When she does this is I usually check her ear and get a couple of fingerfuls of wax out.
Everyone has their unique ways of wanting attention, so I guess my question is two fold;
1) is this a display of wanting attention or the need to have her ear cleaned out, which is done regularly...
2) is there anything else I should be doing in her ear besides my finger, sometimes cotton balls or Q tips?
Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesnt smell yeasty...the consitentcy is like human ear wax, it is a yellowish orange, very sticky. Toward the end it was a liitle grainy and more fluid.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
yummy! :) I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with this. I have not had to clean my goats ears...yet. Hopefully someone else has...I would be hesitant to use a q-tip until you know more about how to clean them...I know dogs, but not goats :(

·
Kathy
880 Posts
I know with my LM doe when she is rubbing it I usually check to see if its clogged or waxy or really smelly. If its a bad odor I treat her ears with yest infection meds for 5 days and it clears it up. Sometimes she rubs just cause she wants attention also. Check both ears and compare.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the Q Tip Minelson....Im pretty careful but I hate poking around with one. dont even like the idea of any cotton ball fibers getting stuck in there.
Its just the one ear & no one else has ever had wax. Its evident why its a DQ!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts