Ear Tatoos

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Caelma, May 4, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me about ear tatoos?
    How? What age?
    Where to buy equipment?
    What to put and which ear to chose?
    Thank You

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Find out which ear the Breeders Association requires it to be in.
    I don't remember which ear.
    But, I do remember having the top blue ribbon rabbit at our very first TOP of the Line rabbit show-----until they went to check the tatoo and it was in the Wrong ear........
    Dropped the rabbit right down to 3rd place----------and we were lucky to have gotten any placing.

Our vet did the tatooing for us free of charge---for the kids projects--------and it was a learning experience for her, also.

Luckily, and just by chance, she did the other 3 rabbits in the correct ear---and they all got Top Blue.

3. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

The American Rabbit Breeders Association requires that the identifying tattoo be in the left ear. Usually the breeder will tattoo their rabbits at or shortly after weaning time (six to ten weeks) while the ears are still somewhat softer than they get later. Most of the Rabbit equipment dealers carry the tattoo equipment. You might try Bass Equipment or Bunnyrabbit.com. Different breeders use different schemas for the tattoos, some using a combination of initials referring to the sire and dam as well as numbers indicating a certain animal in a litter. Try to come up with a scheme that will provide some information to you about a rabbit along with being a simple identifier.

Russ
    www.marchharesrabbitry.com

4. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

Yes tattoo the left ear as ARBA will tattoo the right when the rabbit is registered. I use my rabbirty initals and a number for the bunny. Example "CT60" Or "CT155" I tattoo my bunnies at 6 weeks or so of age. It is esaier to control the bun as well as the tattoo stays a bit better. I bought my kit from another breeder. But you can go to a rabbit show in your area and buy one from a cage dealer. or even go online and buy one. They run about $30.00 plus you need to buy letters. That comes with the clamp and digits 0-9 and a little bottle of ink. Danae

5. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the info.
    Next question?
    I have some older that I bought. They are between
    12 weeks old to 5 or 6 months old.
    How will tatoo'ing have an effect on the rabbit or the tatoo if any?

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

It's just fine, I always did mine when they were 6 months, decided then which ones I would show. It's not too hard to do it, we used to wrap ours up real tight in a towel, and have one person hold it tight, avoid major veins.

7. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Klubertanz has reasonably priced tatooing equipment. Tatoo your own ID in the left ear, the right ear is needed if you have your bun's registered.

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Klubertanz Equipment (www.klubertanz.com) in Wisconsin has them. Mine came with the tattoo tongs with an ear release feature (helps prevent the ear being torn while tattoing), numbers 0 - 9, and a bottle of ink. Cost about $30. Our local Tractor Store also has tattoo equipment, though it looked like a larger size intended for cattle.

I tattoo not long after I evaluate the litter for quality (around 10-12 weeks). I've heard that if you wait too long to tattoo, the mark has a tendency to fade and that seems to be true with my rabbits. Your rabbit has to be tattoed to be shown or registered with the ARBA. The tattoo goes in the LEFT ear (if the rabbit is facing your left hand it is the ear CLOSEST to you). The other ear is reserved for the ARBA registration insignia if you choose to register your rabbit. Rabbits can be disqualified for unreadable tattoes, and will be disqualified for no tattoo, or a tattoo in the wrong ear.

1. Assign a tattoo number to the individual rabbit and put the numerals in place in the tattoo tongs. Test it on a piece of cardboard or paper to make sure it looks like how you want it to.
    2. Gently restrain the rabbit (a helper is handy) with a towel or something.
    3. Hold an icecube in the ear for about 15-20 seconds (until you can feel the coolness of the icecube through the ear) to numb the area and minimize discomfort. You can also use Baby Oragel.
    4. Swab the area with rubbing alcohol to sanitize it and reduce any chance of infection. Wipe dry.
    5. Look for the big vein running down the middle of the ear and AVOID it. Quickly squeeze the tongs in the ear. The bunny might scream if the area wasn't numbed enough, so be prepared. It's going to hurt him a little, but it heals quickly. Most of the rabbits I've seen tattooed just tense up.
    6. Take a deep breathe and let your heart rate return to normal. :)
    7. Generously rub some ink into the fresh tattoo with a Q-tip. Wipe away the excess and make sure all the pinpricks have ink in them. Some people seal the tattoo with petroleum jelly when they're finished.

Hannah

9. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I may be saying some things already said, but here goes.

I like the Grand Champion equipment from Bass. Pen tats aren't for me, and the other pliers seemed cheap from what I have seen of them at shows. I paid around 100 bucks for my whole set. As far as ink, when a little mini rex decided to take a bath in my bottle(she just so happened to be a REW), I decided I'd give sharpie marker a try. All I do is clean the ear with alcohol, puncture the ear, color in with sharpie and seal with 1/2 neosporin and 1/2 vasalie. About a week later I go through, clean all ears again to make sure all came out OK and they are set. As far as age, I do it whenever Have dome as early as 4 weeks and as late as 5 years. Just depends on when you have time, and the breed. You cannot do a ND at 4 weeks no matter how many variables you plan to put in. I usually do it all in one day and get it over with. If you show, do it as young as possible, ink may get on the fur, and if ther is no time to wear out, you are screwed.