Ear tag number

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Loda Farm, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I bought a goat at auction recently, and I am trying to figure out what kind she is. She does have a tag in her ear. Does anyone know of a website where I can type in the tag number to get information?

Thanks!

Laura

2. Loda Farm

BTW, it is an Ohio tag

Laura

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I don't know about ther, but the tag here in CO. really does not tell what kind they are, really just the farm number they are from.
    I would say, post a picture and I know everyone here will tell you what it is.
    Did you only get one? they really are herd animals and they need to be with other goats. Even if it is just one other one. Congratulations on you purchase.

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I use round plastic tags to identify unregistered animals, to distinguish my blackfaced sheep from each other, and all my sheep/ear'd goats also carry a scrapies tag. Neither identifies the breed. It's unlikely you'll be able to identify it this way. My registered animals are tattooed. Post a picture.

5. Loda Farm

LOL. No, I do not have only one, I have about 20-25 goats. I have posted here before, she is the black and white doeling I got at the same time as my new Boer buck. I was hoping to find out even what farm she came from, to just try to find out. She could be a fainter mix, or a ND

Laura

6. Loda Farm

Here is her picture... Whadda ya think?

[​IMG]

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I think it is adorable. I would have to say Nigerian or maybe a fainter. I really don't know. I bet someone will tell you for sure. I do know it is really cute.

8. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Loda,

I know we were looking at her as a fainter cross before - what you can do - it sounds like you have a state scrapies tag. Contact the ext office and you can get the farm information that she's from. For example, it should read OH69654 (whatever number) and then 0034 or whatever on the tag. You need the OH # to get the farm information.

I still have my bets for fainter cross :)

Also, check IN her ears for a tattoo - if she's tattooed you'll have a herd prefix and information that folks who register their goats are familiar with - adn you could probably get her information that way!

I still think she's daaahhling.

Andrea

9. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

In addition to checking inside her ears for tattoos, be sure to check the tail web also. I know of several breeders that tattoo in this spot, regardless of ear type.

10. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Some identifying myotonic characteristics include: Forward facing ears, a "ripple" on the front edge of the ear(midway), ears that feel "loose" at the head, sometimes bug eyes, stiffness (of course)!), general muscling (especially the rear & chest) & usually heavier than they look.

A cross may or may not have these characteristics, and 1st generation crosses may or may not(usually not) show stiffness. There are basically two registries that both have characteristics listed: Myotonic Goat Registry and the International Fainting Goat Registry.
    Hope this helps.
    HF

11. Loda Farm

The tag number is weird... It is OHAM 1473

As far as tatoos, I will have to wait until tomorrow to look, it is too dark now. I tatoo my Boers, but my fainters which are registered with the IFGA are not tatooed. I may consider doing that now though.

Laura

12. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'd say fainter. She looks pretty muscley, probably too much so for a ND doe. She's a purty one too!

13. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Too tall for a ND, maybe a cross? She's a cutie.

14. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I got an animal through Veedersburg Auction and her tag? Was THEIR tag... You may not be able to trace it back easily. VEEb tags ALL animals with their own tag...