Ear Mites

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by 6e, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I bought some NZW's from a person and when I got them they told me that the rabbits had had ear mites when they got them, but were cured. Well, here we are a month later and I noticed that the bunnies are shaking their heads and scratching and when I looked in their ears I noticed just the very start of ear mites.
    I have other rabbits in the same building across the way that came from a different place and they are not affected. I'm treating the rabbits with Ivermectin. What I need to know is what do I treat the surroundings with to keep it from spreading to the rabbits that don't have them? How long do I keep treating them to make sure they are over them once and for all?

2. Ltl Ole Me

Ltl Ole Me Active Member

Unfortunately, ear mites will not go away once and for all. It is an issue that you will have as long as you have rabbits. You say that you are treating with Ivermectin. Is it the pour on or the injectable? I use the pour on for cattle. I go through my barns twice a year treating, usually in May and Oct. Everyone is treated. If there are signs of ear mites they get a whole cc on the back of their necks right behind their ears where the fur is thin and if they have no signs they get treated with a ½ cc as a preventive. You don’t have to treat the area that you house your rabbits. Sometime I will have a rabbit that will get ear mites and need to be treated before the whole barn treatment. I treat the rabbit that has mites and sometimes the ones that are right next door.

Ivermectin is great, once you treat your rabbits your done. You don't have to clean out the crusty stuff or anything. Within a few days you can't even tell that they had them.

3. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

It's the pour on.
    You know it's funny, we've been raising rabbits for over 18 years now, shown them, bred them and whatever and this is the very first time we've had trouble with ear mites.
    I've heard that people that use wooden hutches have more trouble than those with wire cages......although I'm not sure why.
    I don't think I was quite giving them enough of the Ivermec. I'll give them a little more.
    thanks

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I dont have rabbits, but if I had any animal with ear mites, and I used a "pour on " medication, I think I would put a drop or 2 in the ears instead of putting it on thier backs. Ive treated ear mites in cats and dogs with a few drops of mineral oil mixed with a little injectable Ivomec and it works great. I guess putting that much on the back would treat other things too such as worms, but I dont like to treat them for things they dont have

5. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Ear mites are contagious to other rabbits.

You can use baby oil or vegetable or mineral oil in the ears 2-3 times a week.

We give .01 cc of the ivermectrin per pound orally and another dose in 14 days.

6. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I'm not sure if I would actually put Ivermectin Pour on inside the ear - it is alchol based and would burn like the devil. I do put a little almost between the ears at the back of the head. I have also used the ear mite drops that one can get at the local feed/seed stores or pet stores but they hate it and shake their heads till you think their heads will pop off. Ear mites are like any other mite - once you have them you will have to treat everything (hutches, cats, dogs, neighbors rabbits.....) It is really important that you doctor the other critters around your rabbits or they will come back to haunt you. I would say to treat your kids too but that may be going overboard! LOL

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Follow...label...directions...please. If da box says ta do sumptin, den do it! :)

Anyway, my first pair of rabbits came from a backyard rabbitry (incidentally, wooden hutches) that was infected with ear mites. I don't think they were infected, but just to play it safe, we treated them with cat ear mite drops. Veggie oil is also supposed to work because it suffocates the mites.

From what I've heard, mites can crawl up the wooden legs on hutches, which is why they're less of a problem with hanging cages...wonder if setting the legs in pans of oil would keep mites away?

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

"wonder if setting the legs in pans of oil would keep mites away"

It should and it would also stop ants from getting into their food. Depending on the size of the legs you might be able to use empty cans instead of pans so they wouldnt be so exposed