Ear mites ??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by needstoknowmore, Jun 27, 2006.

1. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

Mites are one of many bugs and flies I have to deal with. I noticed that one of the calves has them. For my horses I use Ear Mite Killer. Besides using it in their ears I also us in on their bellies and under their jaw, where the little black nasty biters really like. Is there any reason I couldn't use this on a calf? It says it is for cats-dogs-horses. Would I be able to use anything I would put on my horses or goats on a calf??

I'm just a newby trying not to make too many more mistakes!!!!

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

In a post on pigs a few days ago I made the comment that if the medication is for horses, I don't use it on my sheep etc. In your situation I would be saying the same. Go to your farm outlet or vet clinic and buy a preparation that has been designed with cattle in mind. Do you drench your cattle as most pour-on drenches do external as well as internal parasites as does Ivomec injectable.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

feeds & Medicines designed for cattle can kill a horse, and vice versa. Best to stick to cattle medicine for cattle as Ronney suggests. Cydectin Pour-on works with cattle, otherwise hang tarp in its shelter to make it totally dark during the day, let calf be in there and put a little fly spray on him/her.

4. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

Thanks! I will remember that. I haven't used anything yet. Just keeping the ears clean. I was told I could put the ivemec injectable in the ear. I used Agri-mectin pour-on, on the other little calf to get rid of lice. I was hoping it would also help keep off the little black nasty bitting flies, but it didn't.

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

My vet says that the ear-mite drops for dogs and cats are the same for the rabbits.