Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GP gets a bacterial yeast infection in his ear at least once a year. We knock it back with an ointment from the vet, but it comes back.

Does anyone have a treatment suggestion?

Will a vinegar and water rinse help?

Thanks

Reactions: Pony

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,210 Posts
If you don’t mind purple splashes on your dog, we cured our Brittany Spaniel of a years long stinky ear with gentian violet. That is the active ingredient in Blu Kote, but we mixed our own.

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don’t mind purple splashes on your dog, we cured our Brittany Spaniel of a years long stinky ear with gentian violet. That is the active ingredient in Blu Kote, but we mixed our own.
I just ordered some. Thanks

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
I'm big on mixing my own ear goo for the dogs.

My recipe for panalog is this:

1" miconazole
1" cortisone creme
1" zinc oxide ointment
1" triple biotic

Mix all 4 goos in the corner of a plastic sandwich bag Cut the tip off the corner, and massage into ear. Use at the first sign of ear infection.

Costs a darned sight less than panalog. Works just as well, if not better.

Alice, what is your recipe for gentian violet?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,210 Posts
Oh, Lordy, that was several decades ago. Daddy mixed it. It may have had a splash of potassium permanganate in it, too.

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
Oh, forgot to say: Yes, a vinegar/water douche will help, as most ear infections are yeast infections. Check the dog's food, too. Sometimes exacerbated by corn allergies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First trim the hair around the ear especially from the underside. There are so many ways to treat this like vinegar/water douche, flush and wipe with ear cleanser etc. If possible then visit your vet also for better consultancy, maybe skin biopsy will be required for the infected area.

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
If the dog is big enough, using a pre-packaged vaginal douche may be feasible.
Yeah, but I'm a cheapskate. I can mix my own vinegar and water, add scent if I feel the need, and it will cost pennies instead of dollars. ;)

Reactions: thesedays

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Yeah, but I'm a cheapskate. I can mix my own vinegar and water, add scent if I feel the need, and it will cost pennies instead of dollars. ;)
Oh, I understand. I was thinking of the packaged product as having a good delivery system, but a ketchup squirt bottle would probably also work for this purpose.

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I understand. I was thinking of the packaged product as having a good delivery system, but a ketchup squirt bottle would probably also work for this purpose.
The smaller Siracha bottle is perfect.

I have it under control now. I beat it back with the ointment from the vet. We trimmed the hair back. We are doing a weekly vinegar wash and dry.

He is muy happy now.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I have a 2 oz bottle of this now, but don't know what to do with it. The vet never heard of using this for a dog's ear.
If you used it, you would want to do it outside, and keep the dog outside for a while too, because of the way that stuff stains.

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you used it, you would want to do it outside, and keep the dog outside for a while too, because of the way that stuff stains.
He has never been indoors

Do I just put a few drops, undiluted in there?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts