Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been years since I had an ear infection - but I am pretty sure that is what I have now. My left ear is completely plugged and very painful! I can't go to the clinic until tomorrow - but am wondering if there is anything I can do tonight to try to take a little of this pain away so I can get some sleep? It has been hurting for almost 3 days - but today has been the worst. I can't hear anything out of it at all and it really hurts! Any suggestions or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I would try some hot tea and chewing gum. The chewing can help things drain sometimes and the tea might loosen it up enough to help it drain. Sugar free gum is the best but anything that keeps you chewing a lot is good.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ibuprofen and a heating pad should help.
I've had one for over a week now. Went to the Dr on Tuesday and he gave me a shot and put me on antibiotics and told me to take an antihistamine to help dry it out. It might be a little better today but not much. Mine mostly hurts in the side of my neck. I feel your pain:Bawling:

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Chiropractor taught me this trick when I had a very bad ear infection (my doctor had just told me that my eardrum was going to burst and there was nothing that could be done about it!). I followed his directions and was 80% better by the next day, 100% by day two! This was after a full week of agonizing pain and dr. prescribed pain killers.

Just drop a bit of peroxide in your ear canal, and let it fizz and sizzle for about 10 minutes. Some people find peroxide harsh on sensitive skin so you can water it down a bit (I use it full strength, works better). The peroxide will work into the ear, kill the bacteria and such, and help release built up fluid. After 10 minutes, roll over and drain your ear.

It feels very cold, is loud, and may make you very dizzy...I just lay with my ear up and let it fizz away...

If you feel a tingle or burn in your throat it has worked all the way through, best to roll over and drain as the peroxide will irritate your throat.

This also works extremely well to kill a cold - most viruses that cause colds are found in our ears (warm and moist) and start affecting us from there. Just do the treatment in each ear as soon as you feel a cold coming on and you'll soon be feeling better.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am on my second round of antibiotics for a bad ear infection. I got an allergy shot and Allegra D with the antibiotic this time. I wish you were closer! I have the numbing ear drops they gave me when I went to ER. I wrapped a heating pad in a dishtowel and wrapped around my ears and it helped but I am with you on the pain. It rates right up there with migraines. They also gave me Tylenol 3 the first time which helped. MY ears are still stopped up some, hearing is impaired. I think the allergy shot and decongestant has helped alot though. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
after you have heated your head up and taken painkillers you can try stripping the eustation tube.
with you finger behind you ear- press firmly and follow the jaw bone structure down - its straight down then forward some to go under the jaw. the idea is to push the crud into your throat
if you get a nasty taste in the back of your throat you've done it.
even if you dont get the nasty! you are helping to get stuff moving.

i like the peroxide idea but i did that one time just to clean my ears out, and it hurt for 2 months after.
i would say water it down first. but i have heard alot of my clients say peroxide is awsome.
hope this helps

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Pure onion juice dropped into the ear. Stinks, but it works.

Also, there are homeopathic ear drops available at Wal Mart that really work good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can buy the drops the help numb the ear at walmart its meant for kids but it does help a little. Also if you believe that its fluid a little sugar added to warm water or oil helps relief the fluid. Use to be able to buy sweet oil don't know if you can any more. Sometime take sudfed or something like that helps also if you plug your nose and mouth and blow it helps open the passage hurts but might work. Sorry I've been there.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
As a kid, when no one went to the doctor for an earache, mom would have us lay on a hot water bottle. Always better by morning. When my kids were still home we used an electric heating pad. Always relieved the pain. The next day we always went to the doctor though for antibiotics. I can't remember the last time I had an ear infection and rarely get colds. I think it's all the yogurt I eat :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts