ear corn

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by cdrgrvfm, Jan 15, 2005.

1. cdrgrvfm

cdrgrvfm New Member

Is there any problems feeding whole ear corn to cows?Should it be chopped into half or thirds or is whole OK?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen cows eat whole ears all my life, and never seen one choke on it. I really think it would be much easier on the cow if the ears were in smaller pieces. My Grandmother had an old holstien cow she milked by hand while she was busy chewing up whole corn cobs with a couple inches of grain left on the pointed end after she had shelled the rest for her laying hens. The cow ran free all day on the gravel country road where she lived. There were 3 neighboring farms less that a quarter mile away. The old cow gave them free lawn service, but no one complained.

3. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

Is there any problems feeding whole ear corn to cows?Should it be chopped into half or thirds or is whole OK?

You can feed it that way, but they are not going to get much out of it. Grind it up, otherwise you are just wasting corn.

4. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Tell that to folks who hog down corn fields .. a very common practice around here

For those who dont know .. that means turning stock out into corn fields in the fall and winter ....works fine to glean harvested fields .. or to make use of a cornfield that for one reason or another cannot be harvested conventually ..

If a cow is piggy about eating cob corn than she wont chew it up thouroughly
    so waste occurs ... even though whole kernels pass through there has been some nutrition extracted ,

I feed whole cobs to my herd all the time for treats ...

There is a feed additive that folks who feed out show steers and heifer can use called tenderlean ... it allows the cows system to extract complete nutrition from whole kernal corn .. (A friend of mine uses it on their 4 H steers ... ) it can be vary alarming to watch all the feed you use pass right on through .... but it is used only on market animals as it eventually destroys the kidneys and livers
    there are other products as well ....

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It was common for farmers that were feeding corn to cattle to run some pigs with them. The pigs were great recyclers of corn not completely digested by the cattle. Chickens also can make their living with a few head of cattle being feed grain.

6. mikeg

mikeg Active Member

you would probably be money ahead to have it ground up cob and all for the extra nutrition the cattle would get. You could feed more stock or use less corn than you would.

7. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

Just wondering,

Running all three together (chickens free ranging from portable coop) in the corn field until it is finished and removing the cows first, pigs second and then the chickens sounds like a good way to utilise all the feed qualities of the corn field and provide some plowing and then working in of some good varieties of manures for the next crop.

Is that the idea? Is that a good idea for say a 1 - 2 hectare corn field?

Raphael