Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday for the first time, I got one of those crazy e-mails about someone wanted to send me 1.2 MILLION dollars. Sure, right. It was actually pretty funny, they mis-spelled the name of their own "supposed" assistant, and there was very strange usage of English. I can't believe anybody would fall for one of those things, but I guess people have. I called DH in, and told him we are going to be millionaires!;)

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Well, believe it !! My 86 year old Dad fell for in the mail sweepstakes when he was living alone after my stip-mother passed away a few years back. He went through over $50,0000 yep !! that's right...and more we are sure of too. They would call him on the phone and he would mail money orders to places like Canada, Jamacia even the Netherlands..It was so sad...the family would actually get the phone calls and tell these people to leave our Dad alone and there was nothing that the law could do because it was out of the country and the postal service couldn't really find out either..out of the country. Now he is living closer to us and I get his mail delivered to my house. He still really believes I think until this day that he was going to win millions. Taking fake checks to the bank and thankfully the bank people knew him and wouldn't let him deposit the money..and then he was suppose to send them thousands out of his bank account but he threw away a bundle of money still.. Of course, Dad had a "touch' of dementia that we didn't realize was making the matter worse. Yep..everyone out there isn't as honest as you and I are and they make living out out stealing from others. Even today..2 years later I still get these sweepstake letters in the mail for him.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Another truly vile scam is the one where they ask people to send Bibles. Apparently KJV bibles are sold on the black market in Nigeria. A scammer will write to a church or to someone who posts on a Christian website, and tell them that their church in Nigeria is desperate for Bibles. Anything they receive they sell for a hefty price on the black market.

Kayleigh

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I remember the very first one I ever saw. Probably 15 years ago. It was before e-mail was common so it was a hand written letter sent to my boss at work.
From some suposad African prince needing to get money out of his country for some long detailed reason. It was very confusing and desparate sounding, full of mispellings and very hard to read. We had no clue why this prince was asking for help from our little small business. I wish I had kept it, but we pitched it.
Had a cool stamp though. We kept that LOL.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Even people who should know better fall for these. An almost-local businesswoman "invested" clients money in one of these. She even went to Africa! Because she used other people's money, she's in jail now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts