e machine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mr.maxx, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mr.maxx

mr.maxx Member

I have an emachine I got new 2 years ago and now it is not working, any advice I can get is great.

2. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

My advice would be to not buy another e-machine. My sister went through 4 in one week before she gave up. A Dell is cheap enough now that there is no real reason to buy an e-machine.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Maybe a little more info? Does it not do anything when you push the on button? Or does your operating system not boot, or is it slow when surfing net? "Not Working" covers a lot of territory.

Emachines have moved up in reliability in recent years. I havent owned a recent one but Micron made a decent machine. I am using an older salvaged Micron motherboard in my computer right now. I can even turn on Micron splash screen while booting though I just find it annoying.

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Oopsie, MicronPC was sold off and now renamed mpccorp.

5. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

I'm curious too. What's it not doing?

6. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I'm on my 2nd eMachines PC...in 7 years. DH bought me one over 7 years ago for a whopping $500, and it's been upgraded a few times but did fine. In fact it's still in service; my daughter has it. It was just getting a little too slow to use for work.

The only problem I had was the power supply needed replacing about 2 years in. I found out that my particular model was made with a too-small power supply; the thing sounded like a jet engine taking off. :) A friend replaced it for me. Cost about $40.

Compare that with my HP Pavilion which, in the last 3 years, has gone through THREE hard drives, a new power supply, a new CD-rom, and still isn't working quite right.

I bought my new eMachines the day after Christmas. It was on sale for, after rebate, $100!!! I almost bought TWO. No problems at all yet, knock wood!

BTW, eMachines are now produced by Gateway. Whether that's a good or bad thing is open to discussion, but they're definitely not junk.

Now...what's wrong with your PC?

7. symple-lyfe

symple-lyfe freedom-fighter/teddybear

DItto...in fact, i'm working from a super eMAchines right now. I have had to replace the power supply on it, because the first one was too small, but we got a nice big one and haven't had a problem since. ANd my compy goes from sun-up to sundown, and sometimes I don't shut it off at nite (i like to listen to streaming radio while i sleep)

If the tower just won't power up, its probably the power supply...a new one is about 40-60 bucks and is easily self-installed.

8. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I love the eMachine that I using right now!
    My three year old eMachine got hit with a lighting surge, which killed it, and we have purchased two more since then...one for work, and one at home.
    In fact, both my father and sister own eMachines...never any problems.
    For the value and quality, eMachines is probably my first choice.
    Clove

9. ChickenTracy

ChickenTracy Well-Known Member

I'm using an emachine now..XP version. It's about 3-4 years old. Bought it on sale thinking my HP couldn't make it much longer. Still using them both. The HP (windows Me* is about 6-7 years old now. If I knew what it was doing I may could help. Last night I went to start, run, typed in Chkdsk, scanned & repaired my corrupted files. It's running fine today. Any PC you just have to maintain. If you can't start windows try starting in safe mode *F8* then go to start, programs, acceseries, run disk defragmenter,disk cleanup & Chkdsk. If you have any spyware or antivirus software installed now would be a good time to run those. Another option is going to start, run, type in msconfig, diagnostic startup, then run the scans to clear up any problems. Turn off any firewalls while running the scans. This is just general maintanance that needs to be done on a regular basis to keep them running in A1 condition.;)

10. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

You may not have noticed, but we have a Computer Helps Forum. You will generally get more help and professional advice if you post your computer questions there. It also helps others who have simular problems since that is where most try to resolve their problems first. There is also stickies with things you can safely (and must do anyway) which often resolves your problems.

11. mr.maxx

mr.maxx Member

Nothing comes up on screen, when you turn it on it just blinks very fast on the tower, you have to un-plug it to get it to turn off, the fans are running. the cd draw want open.

12. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Have you had lightening in your area recently?

13. mr.maxx

mr.maxx Member

14. Nevada

If you are comfortable opening the case, I would start by opening the case reseating the memory stick and the cards.

15. mr.maxx

mr.maxx Member

ok I did that and it still just blinks on the tower, I still can't turn it off without unpluging it. it still want work. In my user's guide it saids to check fuse, I can't find a fuse

16. Nevada

When you turn the power on do you hear the speaker beeping? It may have a pattern, like two quick beeps followed by a longer beep. The beep pattern is an error code. If you hear beeping like that then look in your book for the error codes. It may tell you what's wrong.

17. mr.maxx

mr.maxx Member

no error codes listed in this very small book

18. Nevada

What is the beep pattern?

While there are a lot of mainboards manufactured, they have a limited number of BIOS chips available. You can look at your beep pattern and compare it to the major BIOS manufacturers error codes. Here is a good reference:

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_beep_codes

Yours is bound to be one of them.

19. mr.maxx

mr.maxx Member

thanks. but I got up the geek guys and they say it is frided,

20. Nevada

What did they say was fried? The mainboard, the processor, the power supply, the memory? What kind of test did they do?

More importantly, what do you plan to do with the case now?