Dying clothes

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Randy Rooster, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought some surplus long underwear and it is a very heavy cottom material- almost like sweatshirt, but is a natural off white color and Id like to dye them a light grey color. Any tips from anyone on how to do it? Best/cheapest kind and place to get dye?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Simple. Buy yourself a new pair of black jeans, and wash your undies and the new jeans together.

3. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

A little off topic----------but I'm curious------what was the outcome of your chicken problem??? Did she survive????

4. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

I thought - from the title - that this was about the suit to be buried in.

5. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I thought it was about clothes that were all worn out and ready for the rag pile! ;)

6. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I second the washing black clothes to dye. I did this with a big black dress and I dyed all of my underthings dark blue. Sadly some of Hubby's socks ended up being blue too LOL!

I also washed something bright red in hot water along with my whites if I wanted something pink tinged.

Kat

7. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

8. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

we have sucessfully dyed my hubby's BDU's (Navy Blue)

we basically follow the directions on the box of RID dye purchased at Walmart

it took 2 boxes to dye 2 BDU pants and 2 BDU jackets (shirts)....

cant remember exactly but we got the clothes wet in hot water....measured water into the bathtub (the box says not to use the tub) in goes 1 cup salt and something like a tablespoon of laundry soap.....

the actual dye was mixed in an icecream bucket and stirred into the warm bathtub water...once the dye is mixed into the water you put the clothing in the tub.....swish them around for 30 minutes *I think--check the time on hte box for certain* drain the tub and rinse them out with cold water until the water runs clear.....I usually fill the tub with cold water and swish them around....drain and repeat a couple of times.....

then we machine wash them with a color catcher (I think this is made by Tide)....

I think this is all......

oh and I finally figured out the difference between Ajax and Comet......Ajax didnt clean the navy blue Dye off of the tub....the Comet did....otherwise you should use bleach to clean with.

Rachel

9. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for asking and she is doing much better with me just giving her the olive oil and masssaging her crop for a couple days.

Thanks everyone for the help- that dharma trading company has some very neat stuff.