Dye a Chair?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Sep 29, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

The white chairs that were perfect once in my never used formal living room from that "before we became homesteaders" life are terrible to try to keep clean.
    But I like them, they're a good size and they're comfy.

I can't affort re-upholstery and don't like slipcovers. Has anyone ever tried to dye the fabric of upholstered furniture?

I was thinking I could wet them down well, put the dye solution in a spray bottle and just do it....

What do you think?

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    It wouldnt dye an even color but would look like a paint washed effect, sort of hazy and faded but it might be quite attractive. Do a sample with an old bit of white cloth and see how it looks. It would have to have a very fine spray or it will be really splotchy.

3. justmyluk

justmyluk Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's I worked for butler shoes. We dyed shoes for weddings. Make sure the fabric is cleaned. By cleaned I mean that even the slightest bit of oil (from touching it with your hands) will cause spots when dyed. Look at the underside of the chair and see if you can get a scrap piece to practice with. Make sure the chair has not been treated with a scotch guard as this too will cause un even dying.

4. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

My mom said use kool-aid if you want something bright.

I just dyed all my unmentionables from white to Victorian Rose just washing them twice with my brown twill skirt :) lol Lazy man's dyeing! :) lol

There is something called tea-staining but I've not done it. I think you can look it up on the net.

Kat

5. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Domestic Diva

I did it once, wet the chair, applied the dye with a spray bottle. Let it dry well, ran a humidifier even. Gotta tell ya, it was the worst idea I ever tried. I ruined more clothes , from the PERMENT DYE :eek: that I used on the chair. :mad:

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I read something earlier this summer about painting a couch. Try Google.

7. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I was talking about this to a woman I ran into awhile back. She used Rit dye and brushed it on with a paint brush. I haven't tried it yet on my auction special used to be white too good of a deal to pass up couch and love seat. I figure what can it hurt if it screws it up since I only paid $20 for the set.

8. prairie hill

prairie hill Well-Known Member

Egads - Gwendolyn, that would be awful. Minnikin, if you decide to be gutsy and do it, perhaps adding vinegar to the dye solution would be helpful. That's what helps set dye in the washer. If you were to spray or brush it on (I kinda like the brush idea - maybe) how will you keep it hot enough, maybe a crock pot? Dye won't take as well in cooler water. And yes, any oil or otherwise soiled spots will be accentuated. Whew, sounds like a challenge. Be sure that feasibility study is real extensive... :)

9. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Painted a chair with regular paint (not oil base) and it came out okay. The fabric has to be smooth (no texture). Came out looking like leather when done, and I put a paste wax (auto) on it to keep it from becoming brittle and cracking. Still holding up with some hairline cracks at the corners from sitting. Just looks like aged leather. You'll have to put on a few coats of paint to get the leather effect. First coat just soaks in. When it's dry just use a blowdryer to heat set the paint.
    edited to add............. You can use a medium added to the paint to keep it soft if you don't want the leather look............................
    http://painting.about.com/cs/fabricpainting/gr/pr_GoldenGAC900.htm

Or you could go the fabric dye route, using fabric artist dyes.................
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes.html

10. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Dharma has some great dyes. The pigment dyes are inexpensive and will give you a nice, bright color. You can heat set, and sometimes I use a blowdryer.