Dwarf Fruit Trees

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Joe in MO, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Joe in MO

Joe in MO Active Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to purchase mini dwarf fruit trees.
    I'm looking at especially: Apples, pears, plums, peaches, and cherry. Thanks again for all the help/advice.
    Joe

2. TinaNWonderland

TinaNWonderland Well-Known Member

I ordered a "Postage Stamp Orchard" a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for it to come it. :cool: I ordered it from Burgess seed company for about $50. I'm supposed to be getting a yellow delicious apple, red delicious apple, pear, cherry, nectarine, and a peach. They are self-pollinating and can all be planted in an area a 10' x 20'!

Here is the link to their online catalog, page 23. There is more info on the individual trees on the page right before that I think.
    http://www.eburgess.com/detailview.asp?page=23

Good luck!
    Tina

3. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Well, if I come across a dwarf I'll ask him.
    (the dwarf might not like being called mini though)

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

[Vernon Barnes and Son Nursery - not online, and you have to call 931-668-8576 to request a catalog.

One Green World (they have a site, but don't sell ((nor is their catalog)) online, but you can request a catalog there http://www.onegreenworld.com/

Burnt Ridge Nursery http://landru.myhome.net/burntridge/

All three have good prices and good looking stock. I've only bought from them this year, so don't know exactly how they will turn out.

I also use RainTree Nursery for descriptions on various fruit trees (these 3 listed are at least 20 percent cheaper then RainTree) as none of them have near as good of descriptions. http://www.raintreenursery.com/ (I'd request a catalog from them also for reference as well as reading their online descriptions).

Pat

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Um, burgess doesn't have a very good reputation. :(

6. Neva

Neva Member

We purchase all our fruit trees from Stark Brother's nursery in Louisiana, Mo. I don't have the address off hand but I am sure you could find it on the web. We just had one of our plum trees die and when we placed our order this spring they are going to replace it at no cost. The trees always look so strong compared to the twigs we have gotten through other mail order companies. I highly recommend the Reliance Peach. It just does not get any better than placing a ladder next to a fully loaded Reliance peach tree. The fragrance is unbelievable. Not to mention the flavor. The peaches also can very well. For some reason we have had absolutely no luck growing Montmorency cherry trees. This is the second time planting them. Must be the soil. We bought an old cornfield and turned it into our home site so the ground was pretty depleted of nutrients.

7. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

We just ordered trees from Four Seasons Nursery :
    1706 Morrissey Drive
    Bloomington, IL 61704
    (309) 834-7200

Great deals in their catalog...

We ordered:
    A Sugar Sweet Cherry Tree - $2.95
    2 Apricot Trees - $3.96
    2 Hazel Nut Trees - $4.74
    2 Black Walnut Trees - $5.50
    2 Pecan Trees - $9.90
    2 Chestnut Trees - $4.96
    5 Rhubarb plants - $1.95
    10 Asparagus plants - $3.96

Prices on some of their dwarf fruit trees are as follows:
    *Postage Stamp Orchard (as noted by Tina) = $49.95
    *Quick bearing individual dwarf apple (red delicious, yellow delicious, jonathon, lodi, or red mcintosh) = $9.95 each or 2 for $17.75
    *5 on 1 dwarf apple (red and yellow delicious, jonathon, yates, and winesap all grow on one dwarf tree!) = $18.49 each or 2 for $34.50
    *Dwarf lemon trees = $3.99 each
    *Dwarf orange = $3.99 each
    *5 on 1 dwarf pear trees (bartlett, kieffer, moonglow, orient, and ayres all on 1 tree!) = $18.49 each
    etc.
    etc.

http://www.4seasonsnurseries.com/

Smoky

8. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm about to open a box from Stark brothers myself.

Any idea why the dwarfs are not supposed to live long?

9. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I've used Stark Bros, but like the stock (and prices) of the ones I listed better. (Stark Bros site is http://www.starkbros.com/index.jsp). I have bought from them.

As Southerngurl said, I'd check the The Garden Watchdog Guide to Gardening by Mail at http://davesgarden.com/gwd/ before I'd order from a company. Burgess and 4 Seasons (actually owned by the same company I think) don't have a very good rating.

Pat

10. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I have bought from Stark Bros for a long time (and yes there were rocky periods several times when it changed hands). I like the way they pack - plastic bag inside a heavy cardboard box. Also, they have never quibbled the times that I have lost trees the first year. I bought 10 trees from them this year and as usual I am satisfied.

If you are willing to spend a little extra money, buy from a local nursery. They will tend to have a more limited selection but the trees will generally do well in your local area.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

11. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Just a tip on Four Season's Nursery. I ordered about $70 worth of plants from them three years ago. I had 4 dwarf fruit trees in my order. I didn't get my order until the end of July. Not a real good time to be planting. The trees did OK but my other plants all died. I started calling them in May and they said that they were out of stock on one item and would not ship until they had all the items. The pampas grass was actually dead when I received my order. I won't ever order from them again. I hope you have better luck with them.
    Leay

12. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

In recent years I've observed that local nurseries are just buying stock produced by bigger suppliers from some distant place then reselling them locally. Kind of like Wal-Mart.

Its been many years since I've had dwarf fruit trees but it was true that they did'nt last very long compared to non-dwarf stock. At the time the grafts were complex, grew at different rates and failed over time.

13. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Stark Bro's is the absolute best. BTW they are in Louisiana, MISSOURI so you know they are 'right' for our climate.

14. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Some of the apple, cherry and plum trees planted by my grandparents are still producing. They began planting in 1910, always Stark Bro's. Stark has my vote.
    Rog

15. Joe in MO

Joe in MO Active Member

I've been clearing my field for the orchard. Have to cut trees down to let the sun light in. How many hours of direct sunlight do fruit trees have to have?
    Apples, pears, peaches, cherries.
    Today is a little cloudy so I'm not sure how much direct sunlight there will be but it looks to me that it would be 3-4 hours.
    Will that be enough or will I have to cut some more trees down?
    Thanks,
    Joe

16. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Joe,

3-4 hours of sun isn't much for any fruit tree. I wouldn't plant where the tree got less than 8 hours.

17. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

My dad has told me to either buy locally, or if ordering from somewhere, order from a location north of where you are. His thinking is the trees will be more suitable for the local environment that way.

(Since we've been debating/discussing fruit trees in our family for more than a year!)

Does that make sense?

Ann

18. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Ordering from the North won't work in the deep South for things that are in the Rose family (plums, cherries, apricots, apples, pears, peaches, etc.) To set flowerbuds you need to have some many days, hours below a certain temperature.

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

So many local companies are buying from the same suppliers the big guys are just marking them up. I must have hit Stark Bros. in the rocky times, as I didn't have any luck with trees from them.

Truly, the best surviving and producing trees have been from the local Lowe's on clearance at the end of the season and from Big Lots ($12-13) on the spring. The Big Lots trees are all I buy now unless there is something special I want in the line of shrubs and those I get from the state nursery or the local XMart. Big Lots has dwarf, semi-dwarf and standard. But they go fast and this late in the season may be picked over a great deal. They have all the fruit you mentioned as well.

I have a dwarf tree that was mature when we arrived 15 years ago that is still fruiting. So longevity certainly needs to be considered, but is relative. I have other dwarfs I planted that produced well at 5 years, and that's a bonus. Plus they are easy to prune and pick from without any dangerous ladder maneuvers.