dwarf dutch??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I heard someone talking about a dwarf dutch. I did not think there was more than one size of a dutch. Is there such a thing?

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Not that I have EVER heard of. However, you can get Netherland Dwarfs with dutch markings. It has something to do with the Vienna gene, which has something to do with BEWs.

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    You may have heard me talking about mating my polish dwarf with a dutch??

4. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I didnt hear it form anyone on this site. Someone asked me if the dutch i was breeding was a dwarf and i did not know if there was such a thing or not.

5. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I didnt hear it form anyone on this site. Someone asked me if the dutch i was breeding was a dwarf and i did not know if there was such a thing or not.

6. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I've never heard of a dwarf Dutch. The Dutch is a small breed, maybe there was a little confusion because of this.

7. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

ok thank you!

8. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

The "dutch" is not only a breed, but a pattern as well. The dutch markings are very invasive ones, and if you were to breed a dutch in your herd once, and never keep any dutch patterned offspring, it is reported to show up as late as 50 generations later. I have heard of people with colony setups putting a sngle dutch in and ending up with all dutch in a fw years times. Harli's are the same way.

ND's do come dutch patterned. I personally like the dutch breed due to it's versatility as a breed. My mismarks are sold early(3 or 4 weeks) for the pet market, and can easily be fed off on a cheap diet and fattended quickly for home use. The marked make great show animals, and their small size makes it easy to keep many more than the large breeds who eat double what my dutch eat.