Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my two 5 year old granddaughters each a dwarf bunny about a month ago. They are half Netherland Dwarf and half Mini Rex. We have had SOOOO much fun with them - they are tame, smart, and curious little creatures! Has anyone else ever had them here for pets? They are both females - sisters - and came in together the morning that we got them at the pet shop.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Glad you're enjoying them, and pleased you got good ones! Netherland Dwarfs have a reputation for nastiness and biting, though the only one we have is a doll. Also, females are often nastier than males. You got lucky - enjoy 'em! Just have the kids be careful when playing with them, because their bones are so small and delicate.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trixi - We MUST have been lucky as these two were real tame and nice even when we first got them. That is one reason why I DID get them. Not a nasty bone in their little bodies (so far) - I taught the girls the correct way to hold them and they are very gentle in their care. We've sure had fun with them and they are spoiled rotten. :)

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
What is their fur like - long and soft, or short and velvety like a Rex?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
We have that exact mix and she's not quite as friendly as yours sound :(

She is my daughter's pet and was sweet when we first got her and got nasty when she hit breeding age. Now she has mellowed and is not bad.

She refused to litterbox train, though, which is a disappointment. I have had rabbits that take to it immediately, and others that have no clue. I think bunnies are a real crap shoot but they sure are cute!

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
...uhm.. double check to be SURE they are females. It can be very hard to tell on small bunnies and petstores are notorious for getting it wrong. If they are diff genders, they will mate early and you might have retarded bunnies. ;-)

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
bluebird2o2 said:
I raise and show Netherland dwarfs.all of my rabbits have nice temperments.http://bunnyhillrabbitry.tripod.com/
Oh, my - cute stuff!

Question for you. I've heard people say that if an ND's temperament is nice, they're likely not to be show-quality conformation-wise. This is true of my own buck, who is adorable but who I think is not quite showable (ears too big, in particular). But then, some of yours have ears about his size - is that considered acceptable? I thought they were supposed to have silly tiny mouselike ears.

I don't show at all and am just asking out of idle curiosity. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.