Dwarf blueberry plants in containers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by working-mom, Jan 9, 2005.

1. working-mom

working-mom Registered Redneck Woman

I am planning on getting a couple of blueberry dwarf plants for my porch. I don't have room in the yard to plant so I figure the next best thing is in container plants. Last year a I had tomatoes and they did wonderfully. I found some in guerneys catalog that look quite nice. The plants are called Dwarf Tophat. Does anyone out there know anything about this variety??? I think I am going to get some aluminum sulphate as well.
    Where do you get PH "sticks" to test the soils ph with??? Also should I use just potting soil in the containers or mix it with regular dirt or other??? I learned my lesson last year with my tomatoes as the 1st 50 tomatoes that came on to the plant got blossom end rot. I got that fixed as soon as I realized what it was, but it sure broke my heart to throw away all those huge tasty tomatoes.

So before I jump into this any ideas and pointers would be greatly appreciated!!
    :eek: :)
    Thanks ahead of time!!!!

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Would you explain how you "fixed" the blossom end rot
    problem? Last I knew, the experts still weren't sure of the
    cause, e.g. calcium, water stress, etc. so if you've come upon
    something that works, you might be able to buy a whole
    blueberry farm!!!
    Regarding blueberries: you can get the pH in range with plain
    sulfur, then fertilize with something like Miracid. I've have about 40
    blueberry plants in pots that have been there for 3 years, and they
    bloom and produce fruit without any help from me, except to keep them
    watered. I just haven't gotten around to planting them...
    Ann

3. working-mom

:eek:
    Well at first I didn't know what it was that was eating my tomatoes from the bottom up so I started looking around and asked questions on backwoods home .com forum anyway we all pretty much came to the conclusion that it was bloosom end rotand the reason I got it was because of low calcium in the soil that I used. Like I said I used only miracle grow potting soil so there must have not been enough calcium in the soil. Okay so I went down to the local grain/fert./pesticide store and asked about getting some calcium which they had they also recomended: ferti-lome brand Yeild Booster liquid, Stop blossom end rot. 2 Tblsp per 1 gallon of water for spray. I used this every couple of days, I sprayed all of the plant even the fruits. This is supposed to stop blossom end rot due to low calcium levels and it did wonderfully. I got probably close to 300 tomatoes off of each plant over a 3 month period. Like I said if I had caught it sooner I would have had more, alot more....
    Hope that helps!!
    Really all it is is a liquid form of calcium derived from calcium chloride. I also added powdered calcium to the soil but choose to use the spray too as it effects were faster than the powder alone.
    :eek:
    :D I wish I would have come up with it but alas I am not a quick bussiness person like that.... :eek:

4. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Isn't epsom salts supposed to be used for it's calcium content. It's one of those Jerry Baker tricks that is supposed to provide calcium to prevent BER.

Ed

5. working-mom

Well I don't know about epsom salts.... I 'll have to check that out.
    Thanks.