dwarf banana tree

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by melanie, Aug 14, 2004.

1. melanie

melanie New Member

I have a dwarf banana tree that I started in the house and moved to the porch in the spring. It is now too big to come back in the house. Can a banana tree survive the winter in zone 7? Would it be ok to plant it in the ground or should I keep it in the huge pot it is?? Does anyone know??

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I dont think it will make it. You could try putting plastic or blankets over it at night.

3. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I agree with Kathy H. I live in north Florida, (zone 9)and my banana tree got "frost bitten" under plastic last winter.
    What I have read, and actually seen here in Florida, is that if the roots are not frozen, the tree will come back up. But if you are trying to get bananas, the tree needs to grow for at least one year without being frozen back to the ground. A suggestion I found successful is to put a cylinder of fencing around the banana tree, maybe three or four feet in diameter, and fill it with dead leaves up to the height of the tree trunk.
    I tried to "cheat" with just plastic this past winter, and it didn't work too well.

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I have the same problem, sorta. I can put mine in the barn under artificial light. Here's a thought, maybe a suggestion. I'm certainly no expert. Could you plant the pot in the ground so you can rip it up if it shows lots of stress due to the frost? What about building a large 'cage' around it with fencing, heavily mulching the bottom, perhaps up to the first leaves? That'll make sure the ground won't freeze. Then wrapping the cage with clear plastic to form a wind barrier (which I understand is very important as the plant can get wind burn and dehydrate. It'll also be a mini greenhouse of sorts. You'd have to leave some or most of the top open for ventilation so it won't actually cook on bright sunny days. It should be easy enough to drop a heavy old quilt over the top of the entire thing at night and when frost is expected.

My dad did this with some of his fig trees. It should work for bananas, shouldn't it?