dwarf apple trees for zone 3

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I would like some opinions on dwarf apple trees, I live in zone 3/4, and have red clay soil for the most part. I would like to know, how many different types there are that would withstand my climate and how soon it would be till I could get a decent harvest form them.

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Jackie......I would try a web search if I were you. I just quickly looked at my Stark Bros. catalog and see two apple trees listed as hardy in zone 3. Honeycrisp Apple and Honeygold. They were both developed at the University of Minnesota. They are available in dwarf.

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

a very dear friend who has her BA in orchard mgt from Fresno State U in CA with a specialty in apples gave us the following counsel concerning apple choices in zones 3 & 4. 1) most standard apple root stock will naturally semi-dwarf in zones 3&4. 2)Dwarf root stock is not hardy stock in zones 3 & 4 and tends to have a production life of only 12 years. Her counsel was to avoid it unless we wanted to replace our trees every 7-8 years in order to have continuous production. 3)contact the nursery you have chosen to order from and discuss root stock choices or what they use/receive. 4)Use nurseries whose stock is intended/grown for zones 3 & 4. A couple of suggestions: St. Lawrence Nursery; Fedco in Maine; Miller in upstate NY. There are also some good Washington state growers to consider. 5) Also discuss bloom dates with the nursery if you are in late frost areas, ie mountain valleys.

Hope this is of help to you.
    BW

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The nursery down the road and the one in town have about the only apple trees that can grow here (zone 2/3). The most hardy include Goodland , Rescue (a small apple but abundant on a small tree), Parkland. Bare root stock from a Manitoba nursery that will ship has some varieties which I've discovered in the past have several other choices to consider. I don't know if they are still around. My FIL had a very productive Goodland which grew in your area and it was a smallish tree with very good fruit.

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I have ordered grapes from the St. Lawrence Nurseries and am very impressed with them. We are ordering apples from them this year. They have 153 varieties and the catalog is very informative: has hardiness ratings, parentage, colors, season when variety ripens, description and coded for what the varities are best for (baking, cider, eating, keeper....). The catalog goes over the differences in rootstocks (what makes the apple a dwarf, semi-darf or standard). They do not sell dwarf or semi-dward trees because they are not hardy or disease resistant for northern climates. Some of the varieties they sell are early produces. I would recommend getting their catalog just for the information included. And their prices are reasonable--$17 for any variety and they do have packages of five or 10.

www.sln.potsdam.n7y.us

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member