Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she had some more test and they said she is Diabetic :rolleyes: Now I'm totaly lost on cooking :Bawling:

All I know is lots of greese and Sugar.She says I'm not working with her :shrug: Hey I'm trying.

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Most hospitals offer nutrition classes for people who have recently been diagnosed with diabetes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just google diabetic diet. There's loads of good info on the web. Think healthy..whole grains, fruits, vegetables etc. A diabetic diet is really just a healthy diet that we all should be eating anyway.

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
Actually, think "protien".

As in, more meat balls and less pasta. More pork chops, less apple sauce and potatos.

And, SNACKS! She is now SUPPOSED to be eating snacks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
debra in ks said:
Just google diabetic diet. There's loads of good info on the web. Think healthy..whole grains, fruits, vegetables etc. A diabetic diet is really just a healthy diet that we all should be eating anyway.
NO KIDDING. This is just one website and there is a TON of recipes. This ones from the Mayo Clinic. HTH.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-recipes/RE00091

Of course, her doctor should be able to help with specific guidelines for her. They probably even have a diet plan made up. Might want to ask there too.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Rock it is possiable to cook without grease,I have done it for years.You can make gravy without grease,its good too.I cooked up some red cabbage and carrots a few nights ago with onion & green peppers.So good I could eat it for breakfast.Good luck with the cooking,there is a lot of info on the net.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to talk to her more tonight.All she told me was to bake up some Chicken tonight.

Me I have to watch the greese anymore too.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Forgive me if this offends you, Rock, but have you baked a chicken before. My SO likes grease, too and he wouldn't dream of baking a chicken, he thinks they were grown to be fried.

If you have not baked a chicken before...start with a whole chicken. Wash well with plenty of cold water. Salt it inside and out. Place in a baking dish - breast side up looks best, but breast side down helps to keep the breast meat juicy. Bake at 450 for 15 mins then reduce to 350 for 40-50 mins until done. If you are trying to eat heathier meals, you will probably want to discard the the skin and just eat the meat.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am sorry she has to deal with this. I understand, I am also diabetic.
The protein issue can vary with her condition and her doctors advice. My kidneys have damage and much protein is not good on them, so have her check with her doctor on that.
I agree, lots of vegetables, green salad. I have sugar free jello, sugar free all kindf of things.
The classes here at the hospital were invaluable to me. Perhaps she can go to some diabetes education classes, too, and get some help.
I wish you and she the best of luck. It takes some time to learn, but you can do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts