DVD-RW Install Help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Feb 8, 2005.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, I am helping friends hook all their gadgets together and have hit a snag. They have these items: Large tv, cable box, VCR, DVD-RW. I routed everything through the cablebox, with a splitter from the cable at the wall directly to the dvdrw, and the dvd player only found 71 channels and they tell me they get in the hundreds.

Then, when I removed the vcr from the loop entirely and used just the dvdrw through the cablebox (in and out) it degraded the tv signal and found no channels. In fact, every time the dvdrw is in the loop the picture clarity suffers. I even added an rf modulator to the mix, and still, no channels on the dvd and poor picture quality. I tried expensive gold cables as well as cheapo ones.

Do some dvdrw's not get channels above 100? The book that came with this no-name stinks and there is no phone number. Website offers only where to buy them. I have also changed the channel from 3 to 4 on everything and that didn't matter. How do I convince this player to search and find more channels on their cable? And is there anything I can do to improve picture quality?

What about this S-cable (or S-something)? I don't know how to use that option, but the cable box/tv and dvd I believe, all have this as a slot.

2. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Can you wire the DVD thru the VCR?

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Is there a tuner? (stereo reciever) I run the satalitte DVR & DVD-RW RCA cables into the Tuner, everything should go into the tuner on it's own set of RCA's. The tuner has an RCA to the big screen TV as Video only, TV is only a monitor really. The Dish cable goes to the DVR-to DVD-to TV. Then, the tuner has options, DVD-Dish-Reciever, and I just push which one I want. This way is the only way I could get my DVD to record-work. You have to get it where you just watch your normal channels thru your cable, and then just ask the DVD too "see" what is on the TV. If they don't have one, they need to get a Reciever, and do it that way.

Sometimes there is a TV-VCR button on the VCR. That switches between inputs too. My DVD will auto find the correct channel.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

It isn't a Dish network or satellite anything, so they don't need a reciever--its regular cable guy-cable. Crafty-I can't remember if we ran it through the VCR, but I think what happened there was we could view a dvd, but not record. We were out of places to output to the dvd. I tried running cable out from the tv to the dvd directly but that fou8nd no channels and no picture and we couldn't play the dvd player. It seems to have to go through the cable box or connect directly to the cable from the wall.

And any time the dvd is included in any of the mix, the picture suffers. Why? I think maybe it is a poor dvd player....but it ought to find the channels when hooked directly to the cable that is feeding it and it still doesn't let us go above 100.

I think it may be time the teenagers get involved. Perhaps I need to call my nieces and their associated boyfriends.

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

The DVD will not pick up any channels that are scambled by the cable company. To recieve them it would have to have the cable box in-line in front of it.

6. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Dosen't matter. The coax from their cable coming in is the same as my coax from the dish coming in. Same difference. Wolf is right, no matter how you hook it up, the first thing the coax has to go into is the cable box, to get permission to see the channels. Try coax to cable box to DVD to VCR to TV. No splitters, just in & outs.

A DVD is not the same as VCR's are, not what we have been used to all these years at all. They are different, have to be hooked up in a special way, I don't know why. My reciever (tuner-stereo) is completely different than my Dish Network DVR dish box. The reciever runs the whole system, speakers and every component.

If my DVD is on, and the reciever is set to DVD, I still change channels with my Dish Network remote, to the Dish box. I never use the DVD remote, it stays on the same channel all the time. You need to be able to find and change the channels with the cable box. The VCR's had a VCR-TV button, which made it possible to change input and record or watch tapes, but the DVD's don't have that button. Is it a newer TV that has different inputs on the back? That might work if it is.

7. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

I think you'll find the missing channels are on the cable as digital signals,
    not standard NTSC RF analog like a tv set receives...if so, you must use the cable box to see them.

S video uses separate wires for color and B&W signals, standard composite video mixes them together which causes some quality loss when the TV has to take them apart. For best quality from DVD use the S video.....probably will not make any difference on the 71 standard channels from the cable box, but might make some difference on the digital ones.

Dave

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarification. She had the cable guy out yesterday for over an hour and he couldn't get even the 71 channels I linked up and got. He didn't charge her and is doing some research. The problem is getting the dvd to record as well as play. Maybe the answer is the s-cable. I will copy and paste your responses for her edification.

Thanks a bunch all you techno folks.