Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dvd burner I'm sure is dying. I've burned probably 500 or more dvd's on it, so I've got my money out of it. It'll still read dvds, play em, read cd's... haven't tried to burn one. But Nero's little disc info program says there's either no disc, or it's trying to access the disc.

I've searched for a program that would diagnose the drive... one probably doesn't exist.

Sure it's time to bite the bullet and get another one. Things could be worse... at least I still have a slow burner in the older machine.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Make sure that Nero didn't loose your burner, that you don't have a bad or full disk in the drive or that you have the right disk in for the task your trying to perform. More than once I've grabbed a cd instead of a dvd and Nero wasn't happy.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I said out loud..."clean the drive"... :rolleyes: and my SO sitting next to me chimed in how long has it been since I cleaned 'anything'!!! :p

well, I reckon I better go find one of my bottles of compressed air and see about dedustifying the drive.

Why in the world didn't the simplest explanation pop into my head? Will let ya know if that was the culprit.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I gave the drive a couple shots of compressed air... and now it won't do diddly... tried the reset hole... even in frustration tried a screwdriver... so now I have a boat anchor... of course, it was a boat anchor before I tried, so nothing lost. I'll take the drive out, and start saving my nickles for another one. Oh, if it'd only broke a month or two ago, when I my bank account was flush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts