Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to get A few Dutch belted Rabbits again!! I had A few crosses years ago. And they threw great litters. 7-8 at A time.Bad part was they were Brother/sister What other colors than Black belted are they?? The crosses I had were brown.!!! How do they handle the heat???

·
Registered
171 Posts
They are somewhat popular down here in my neck of the woods, SE NC. They don't seem to fair too poorly in the heat, but management of any rabbits in heat is important. I BELIEVE they come in only black, blue and chocolate, but could be wrong. Have you tired the American Rabbit Breeders Association site? They have accepted colors, recognized breed clubs and tons of other info!
The only thing I can think of off hand about the heat is slightly larger ears in buns produced during the summer.....since they cool their systems by circulating more blood thru the ears....and seasonal infertility is common in most breeds due to heat in the summer.
Good Luck!
Anna

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Okay, please remember that I am really new to this, so I questions that may have obvious answers to you, but of which I am still ignorant.

That said, for what purpose are Dutch rabbits bred? I have a very lovely buck who is very sweet (Paul Muller threw him in with the other buns we got from him) but he hardly seems meat rabbit size. The fur seems too short for spinning, so...

Is it just because they're so darned cute?

Pony!

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just like them myself. And my First Rabbits almost 30 plus years ago were Dutch. And they were crossed.. With nzw

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ones I had weighed 5-7 pounds and were great mothers. 6-7 in every litter.. The biggest market, And I don't sell to it for Dutch is Pet/Easter trade.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
james dilley said:
The ones I had weighed 5-7 pounds and were great mothers. 6-7 in every litter.. The biggest market, And I don't sell to it for Dutch is Pet/Easter trade.

Yeah, I can see why that would be a good market -- and why one would not want to sell to it.

5-7 pounds seems a good sized rabbit, though. :)

Pony!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
They would take 6 monthes or longer to get to 6 to 7 pounds. Not the best for meat rabbits.
I would think they would only be 4 pounds or less by 3 monthes. Then they would dress out at half that.
I would be looking for NZW for meat production. If you like the smaller rabbit maybe a Florida White would be good too. I understand they grow pretty fast on less feed.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
SquashNut said:
They would take 6 monthes or longer to get to 6 to 7 pounds. Not the best for meat rabbits.
I would think they would only be 4 pounds or less by 3 monthes. Then they would dress out at half that.
I would be looking for NZW for meat production. If you like the smaller rabbit maybe a Florida White would be good too. I understand they grow pretty fast on less feed.

Well, we got the two Californians, and they are good sized rabbits! Perhaps I can find someone willing to trade for the Dutch couple, or maybe I'll make them into pets... hm. No. Rabbits are not pets to me. :shrug:

I'll think of something. :)

Pony!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts