dutch door plans

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Debbie Smith, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Debbie Smith

Debbie Smith Well-Known Member

My husband and I are remodeling our 150 year old barn. I would like to put a dutch door down where the goats are. Any one have any plans for a dutch door? We have been looking at books, but they just show the door. Thanks if you can help.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Normally a dutch door is cut at 34 or so inches from the floor and a sill (similar to a window sill) is added, hindges are usually mounted 'down 7, up 11' inches each; of course both need their own lock or knob. Be sure the sill is tilted about 7 degrees for drainage dureing rain.

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

the old dutch barn doors in our area,
    are made out of tongue and groove wood siding, and then 4 - 1x4 or 1x6 placed across the back of the door, and screw horizontal at about 6" from the bottom, the top, and to each side of where the split is to be, and then a diagonal board added about a 45 degree angle (back side), between the two sets of horizontal boards, and screwed in to place, then the door is sawed in half with a taper of about 30 to 45 degree so that the bottom has the slant to the out side,

the top opens out, and then the bottom unless they remain latched together, but the bottom one has to shut before the top due to the angle (angle is to shed water).

now this is how they were made around here about 90 years ago when many of the barns were built (they usally had bent over nails instead of screws, but use screws)