Dutch Belted Bull Calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by evermoor, Feb 11, 2005.

1. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Would anyone be interested in a baby Dutch Belted bull calf? Our "Belty" is fully registered and 100% Dutch Belted. The calf is due in the end of Febuary so I am just putting out a feelers otherwise he'll go to the sale barn.

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Where are you? How do you know it will be a bull calf? I guess just in case huh. Otherwise if it is a heifer you'll be keeping it. I get it! Thanks

3. evermoor

Oops sorry about that. We are in central IA. Our vet sex checked (ultrasound) when we preg checked and seems to be doing a good job.If you are unfamiliar with the breed, they are a dairy breed. Cows weigh 11-1200 pounds, Ours is about 950 as a two year old. They most closly resemble milking shorthorn in production and attitude. I haven't found a specific website so I guess the okie state one would be best for more info.

4. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

When we would go north...we use to drive by a farm who had a dozen of thses wonderful cows along the road...I've always wanted a few! Very Neat!
    AJ

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

How much do dutch belted run in price? I don't see many, and im under the impression they have a decent value? I'm thinking (if NOFA allows it) adding some dutch belted calves in a few years to the herd. I would of course be after heifers, and it is a few years away. But I'm curious about the price.

Jeff

6. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Hi Evermoor! Do you ever have females for sale (either heifers or bred older cows)? I'm in central Iowa too (near Maxwell-small town half way between Ames and Des Moines and 10 miles east of I-35) and will be interested in getting a family cow in the next 6-18 months. I kind of like the idea of a Milking Shorthorn, but mostly I want a beefier type milk cow so I can have good beefy steers. I seem to remember seeing an article about Dutch Belts a couple of years back and they really interested me at the time (but I figured they were pretty pricey given that they aren't that common). Thanks for your time!

Sarah

7. farmerdan

farmerdan Well-Known Member

About 4 years ago, I bought a couple of Dutch Belt heifers for $300/ea. - about 2-3 months old and already dehorned. I sold them a couple of years ago as bred cows for $600/ea. I think I gave the lady who bought them a really good deal on them. I had to search around to find some but they are out there. Let me know if anyone is interested, I may be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Dan

8. katmease

katmease Member

Hi. Please pm me with the price you will be asking. Thanks!

9. evermoor

Thanks everyone for the interest, unfortunately the vet was wrong and we got a big ole girl! Everybody is in love with her. I might try to post some picture of them later on, if I can figure it out.