dusty hay a problem?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by silvergirl, Oct 30, 2006.

1. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

We went down to the co-op the other day to buy a couple of bales of orchard grass but I think we got stuck with regular hay - it doesn't smell the same or have the same texture - and it is incredibly dusty... Hubby had it in the bins before I realised it was not the real McCoy... The rabbits seem to be enjoying it but my doe doesn't want to eat it - and it is very, very dusty... I know that dusty hay is bad for horses, is it damaging to goats, too?

You guys have always given such great advice and information - I want you to know how much I really appreciate having folks to turn to with all my questions...
    silvergirl

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

dusty hay is bad for goats because it irritates the lung and goats are coughing as result. and if it is dust from mold it can be deadly. your goat already telling you that she does not want to eat it. listen to her.
    i would not feed it.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

If its as dusty as all that and the doe won't eat it....get her new hay. And if its not what you bought last time and its really dusty, I would report that to the seller. You may not get your money back, but at least they will know your not happy with it. They can't change things if they don't know..... :shrug: