Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd share this on here for those of you interested. If you don't wish to see these photos - STOP NOW.

Here’s the history on this:

When we went to the breeder to buy our Chester Whites, he tossed this little Duroc in for free saying “He’s just going to die anyway.” He was born in early April and was the runt of the litter. His littermates were twice the size of him.

During the first week on our farm he suffered a prolapsed rectum. It was put back in but he continued to suffer with GI problems. He also had a rupture inside the rear right leg that we would hold in place, eventually healing over.

In the 2 months that we had him, he did grow in the beginning, probably reaching 25# but he always suffered from GI problems. He’d drink just a cup or so of milk and then go lay down, he did eat solid food but not much. He’d pass gas often and his stools were always watery or, at best, loose pudding consistency, never a normally formed bowel movement. During the last week, he was losing weight, not as active and his ribs began to show. I could pick him up and hold him with one hand.

We decided to put him down and open him up to see what we could find. Knowing we were probably dealing with birth defects, we examined him quite thoroughly. First incision showed that the end of his urinary tract was looped around itself. (1st photo) We could also see the rupture (with scar tissue) inside his rear right leg. (2nd and 3rd photos)

His large intestines were very large for a pig his size, probably the size that they should be for a pig his age. (4th photo) His stomach, heart, liver and lungs looked good, appropriately sized for him. We opened up his throat to check for obstructions or anything constricting his throat preventing him from eating, but that was all clear. (5th & 6th photos).

So, we lost a pig for the freezer, but experienced an interesting necropsy and we're more informed as to what can go wrong.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Charleen: Very good photos, all the major organs like you said look great but the entire G.I. tract is very large for this guy, and the pallor is abnormal even for a deceased animal, it looks like an inflamatory disease. Were there any adhesions inside the bowel ligaments? I noticed in the 4th picture there are some nodules on the bowel that don't quite look like fat from here, can you explain your finding on this? It maybe be fat, but it is hard to tell from here. The urinary tract also is curious.... Sounds like this guy may of sustained some kind trauma, or just got the band end of the stick in life. Very very unsual. No signs of infection? Herniation?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts