Dumped Pups???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Old John, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

We've been out here 3 years, on the place, Hummingbird Hill.
    I am working slowly to clean out fence rows & get it fenced, for cows.
    But, I'm 66 yrs. old & the work goes pretty slow.

We have two big Dobermans, 100 #'ers. mostly in the House & yards.
    We have over the years, accumulated five farm-cats, mostly as
    Strays & dump-offs. We've had them all fixed so we don't have to worry
    about kittens. And we feed the wild birds all year around. As well, we
    feed the Hummingbirds, from the 2nd floor deck, 20 to 50 at a time.

So, now come the Puppies. They are about half grown. There are 3 of them.
    Maybe litter mates?? They started hanging out here, over the weekend.

DSW Sharon won't let me shoot them. I couldn't anyway.
    I do shoot possums. But they are nasty.
    They are Cute dogs. One, the smallest is colored like a border-collie.
    One is yellow & white. And the biggest, liveliest is about the color of a hereford yearling, kinda yellowish-red. They all look like the same age.

We can't get close to them. They run, when we go outside.
    We started feeding them because they looked so hungry.
    We don't want to put them down.But, we don't reall;y need 5 dogs.
    We live about 6 miles from town.

Do you think we are stuck with them?
    We don't need them. One wouldn't be too bad but 3...??
    Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.
    We like the reddish one & the border collie.
    Well, maybe we could keep 2.......
    Of course we'd get them fixed. It's the sensible thing to do.

Do you think they will get tamer & turn into pets/farm dogs?
    How do we get them tamed down??
    If we keep feeding them, do you think they'll "come-around"?
    Thanks.

2. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

I would say that feeding them will work to get them to know you but then for them to get a new home they will need to learn to trust others. Age will make a difference too on how adoptable they are.

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

That is so nice of you to keep watch over these pups. I'm sure with time they will come to trust you...and hopefully others as well.

My motto tends to be "there is always room for one more", however that is how we ended up with 7 pups and two more fosters that are currently awaiting their forever homes. :rolleyes:

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Feeding time is a great bonding moment :) They will adapt to you if you try to get closer with each meal , show kindness, and attempt to pet them, It is after all how dogs were bred to evolve. There may be a rescue society in your area that would help with the spay/neuter bill for the pups. As you befriend them you can tell which, if any, will do well at yhour place. The other one(s) may be better suited to a couch and a/c :) What you are doing is very kind. God bless.

5. JasoninMN

JasoninMN Well-Known Member Supporter

If your dobermans are dog friendly try to use them to lure the others in. If they see that your dobermans trust you and that you are dog friendly they should get over their fear quicker.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

It is A shame that ignorant folks Throw away. pets. Its A custom down here to throw away pets.. Its just A problem...I hope you can find homes for the pups good luck..

7. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Do you think we are stuck with them?
    We don't need them. One wouldn't be too bad but 3...??
    Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.
    We like the reddish one & the border collie.
    Well, maybe we could keep 2.......
    Of course we'd get them fixed. It's the sensible thing to do.

I hope you keep all 3! Poor babies they didn't ask to born, or dumped and they are just lucky they found you, instead of someone that would shoot them.
    Just keep feeding them and talking to them and eventually they will come around. It's sad they are afraid of humans.

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

:flame: :flame: For yrs. we had dogs dumped at the farm.. At one time we had 14 dogs. It became such a problem, that I started having them vetted, teaching a few commands (leave it, no, sit) and giving them away. We have kept 13 of 14 until they have died of old age--(one was given to a df who's dog died and she love the white boxer mix we had and because our Alpha male used him as a whipping post daily--I decided to give him away... We still have 4 dogs that are throw aways, 3 rescues and one purchased..

Two (brother and sister) of the best dogs we have ever had, came to us this way.. They are sweet, loving, loyal, they hunt/kill mice/rats/snakes and are great door bells--would never bite someone but they sure let you know if there is any one or anything on the property that's not suppose to be...

Good luck.. QB

9. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Trap them and take them to the dogpound, before they begin to breed and/or eat your animals.

10. whitewolf

whitewolf Well-Known Member

The best dogs I ever had were strays. We now have lets see.....5 dogs and a horse????......no that isn't a horse that is a St. Bernard. Yes they pay big prices for some of these "strays" and then decide when they are no longer puppies that they don't need them. I "WILL NOT" GET ON MY SOAP BOX. You sound like a great guy...there are alot of people out there that would have just shot them. Can't tell you what to do....PETS ARE A BIG RESPONSIBILITY....but hopefully it will all work out or you can find homes for them. The DOGS aren't causing the problems, it's STUPID PEOPLE that do. That's all I got to say.

11. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Same problem here. We live 5 miles from the city on an isolated gravel road---dumped furniture, cats, dogs, puppies---we get it all. We have worn out all the rescue groups in our area---most will not take these animals anymore because they are full---they did for several years so we were lucky there---just cost us $20 per animal. Now we have to find homes for them ourselves---much harder. We get them fixed, I groom them and do some training, try NOT to get attached in the process, then send out pictures with any relatives that work in bigger places, put up posters. All my relatives have dogs from here, we have three dogs and three cats---more than I want, but as you say, nice animals. I consider it charity work for unfortunate animals that can't help what mankind does. Dogs and cats are usually nicer than those people, hugh?

As far as your situation, you may need to take a chair and food and sit there until you can gain the dogs' trust. It may take a few days, but I've rarely NOT succeeded this way. Sit the food out and each day move yourself closer to it. Don't make direct eye contact at first---that's challenging to them.

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

As Ana Bluebird wrote, feed them from a distance. Get to know their comfort zone. How close will they come to you? Stand or sit there and let them eat. Feed them three times a day. On the second day, stand a step closer. Then another step. Use a whistle every time you bring out the food. As you put it down, say a couple of words over and over, like, "good dog", "dinner". At some point you will be able to stand within a foot. At this point, feed them from your hand. Stoop down. Standing, and especially bending over will be viewed as a dominant stance. If you are worried about puppy teeth, use a fork. Do not pet. Feed from your hand for several meals. Observe their actions and reactions, you will able to determine their comfort level with you. You should be able to feed them each a handful of food, move away a step, say something ("come", "dinner") and keep feeding. Get them to follow you for the food.

When you feel ready to pet, very lightly stroke the side of the confident one's neck, not really touching. This is so he can learn that your hand coming near his neck will not hurt him. Play it by ear, get them used to a hand coming near for the pet. Always bring your hand from underneath, not overhand.

When you've got them comfortable with hand feeding, teach sit. You can do this before you start the petting procedure, or after. With food in hand, bring it to the pup's nose, then over the top of his head. His nose should follow the food, and in the process he will plop down into a sit. Repeat over and over. Soon, the gesture will put the pups into a sit. At this point, hand gesture the sit, but feed from the other hand.

For your next trick, feed them in a large open crate for one or two meals a day. Keep water in the crate.