Dumped dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jen H, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Coming home from church today I saw a dog running down the middle of the road. Medium sized, yellow, old, no collar. I pulled over and called to him. He came up to me but just wouldn't get into the car. My house was about a mile away, so I figured I would go home, grab a leash and some treats, and hopefully walk him there. Then I could figure out what to do with him.

When I got back to the dog he had been hit by a car. He was dead in the middle of the road. So I buried him.

This just makes me sick. This wasn't a dog who lived around here, someone dumped him thinking a nice farmer would take him in. Except that old dog wasn't going to trust anybody but his person. If he had gotten into someone's chickens or gone after someone's sheep he would have been shot. If he hadn't been run over or shot, he likely would have starved to death.

PLEASE! If you can't take care of your dog anymore, or don't want to, take him to the shelter or put him down yourself. Don't just set him loose in a completely strange place hoping for the best. Doing that just means your dog will die lonely, confused, and scared while he's looking for you!

Sorry to go on, but he was probably a really nice dog. I wish I could have helped him out.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Jen, I totally agree with you, but I think you are preaching to the choir here. Most of us have had to deal with animals dumped in the country by townsfolk who seem to think that farmers have nothing better to do than take care of all the world's unwanted pets. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess -- no real loyalty to the animal who loves them, or committment to it's care.

Kathleen

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

thank you for your caring attitude and what you did to try and help!

Pet owners should get their animals spayed or neutered so there won't be as many unwanted animals; and homesteaders, if you find there is an animal you can no longer keep, please please please don't sentence it to a likely death by just dumping it somewhere!

4. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

My god, it just makes me so angry when I hear about that. No one else wants your dog, so why would a farmer who has a billion things to do and a whole load of animals to take care of want an old lab, who further more is good for nothing except being a pain in the rear? I HATE IRRESPONISBLE PET OWNERS!!!

There is a woman at the bar my dad sometimes goes to that had a rabbit for 8 years. A lovely old male lop. Then she dumped him at the SPCA, because she was bored of him. We went there, and it turns out she turned him in as a stray. Didn't give them her cage or anything, because she was too embarressed to say that she was too lazy to care for him

It is so sad...

5. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I just don't understand people that they can dump their best friend on the side of the road.

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't that the truth? Two of our dogs were strays when they found us. Huck was only seven weeks old. It was December, he was wet and covered in cockle burrs. Now, how long did the person who dumped him think this sweet little defenseless puppy last out on a deserted country road?

And then there's Tom. Kindest, gentlest dog you've ever seen. When he finally let us get close to him we discovered he'd been hit in the head...blunt force trauma is what the vet called it. If you so much as raised your hand to wave at someone he would cower on the ground. This dog has a heart of gold and someone beat him almost senseless and then abandoned him.

Every person who dumps a dog or cat on the side of the road should be dragged out to the most deserted place on earth and left for a few days. See how they like it.

I'm very sorry you had to go through this Jen H. I'm sure it weighs heavy on your heart because you cared enough to be concerned for this poor dog...something his owners didn't do.

7. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    I am crying now hearing about the poor dog.

Honestly, all I can say is that we are spaying and neutering the wrong species. We don't have a pet problem, we have a human problem. People don't care about their children, their parents, their husbands/wives or their siblings as a social norm, so why would they care about an animal?

Animal abuse should be a hanging offense... :soap: :bash:

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Thanks for understanding, everybody.

I'm still going through the "I wish" phase. I wish I could have been more persuasive, I wish I had walked back to him faster, I wish I had some treats with me in the car to bribe him with... Mostly I wish his owner had been a decent human being.

I really don't need another dog right now. I would have put a flier up at the post office and at the gas station, or taken him to the shelter myself. At least he would have been safe and fed.

Ah well, at least he isn't out in the rain cold and hungry anymore. I've been obsessively checking on my critters to make sure they're all safe and accounted for. That's really all I can do.

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like some roads need posting with signs that say "If you abandon a dog here it will most likely be shot or run over. Be a real man/woman not a cruel jerk and kill your dog yourself if that's what you want, or take it to a pound to be adopted or killed humanely."

When I had to move to England with (then) its 6 month quarantine laws I could only rehome one dog, the other; more aged, ornery, and attached personally to me would never have survived 6/12 quarantine and even had I found someone to take her might've ended up resented or mistreated. Putting her down was the hardest thing I've ever had to do- harder I expect than any future euthanasia I'll have to request for being near death with disease/injury- but how could I have so betrayed my pup by NOT doing that for her, by leaving her to feeling abandoned and then death after a stay at the pound or from exposure/shot by a farmer. Sometimes we have to suffer to be responsible, good pet owners.

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Since we country boys have the guns, we can take care of your Unwanted pets.

That is probably how the city folks look at us.

11. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

ReluctantPatriot for president :)

12. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I second the nomination. What will our party be called?

13. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

AGREED

KC~

14. gonecountry

gonecountry Member

This is something I found a while back that says it all..................very sad.

I found your dog today. No, he has not been adopted by anyone. Most of us who live out here own as many dogs as we want, those who do not own dogs do so because they choose not to. I know you hoped he would find a good home when you left him out here, but he did not. When I first saw him he was miles from the nearest house and he was alone, thirsty, thin and limping from a cactus burr in his paw.

How I wish I could have been you as I stood before him. To have seen his tail wag and his eyes brighten as he bounded into your arms, knowing you would find him, knowing you had not forgotten him. To see the forgiveness in his eyes for the suffering and pain he had known in his never-ending quest to find you...But I was not you. And despite all my persuasion, his eyes beheld a stranger. He did not trust, he would not come.

He turned and continued his journey; one he was sure would soon bring him to you. He does not understand you are not looking for him. He only knows you are not there, he only knows he must find you. This is more important than food or water or the stranger who can give him these things.

Persuasion and pursuit seemed futile; I did not even know his name. I drove home, filled a bucket with water and a bowl with food and returned to where we had met. I could see no sign of him, but I left my offering under the tree where he had sought shelter from the sun and a chance to rest. You see, he is not of the desert. When you domesticated him, you took away any instinct of survival out here. His purpose demands that he travel during the day. He doesn't know that the sun and heat will claim his life. He only knows he has to find you.

I waited hoping he would return to the tree; hoping my gift would build an element of trust so I might bring him home, remove the burr from his paw, give him a cool place to lie and help him understand that the part of his life with you is now over. He did not return that morning and at dusk the water and food were still there untouched. And I worried. You must understand that many people would not attempt to help your dog. Some would run him off, others would call the county and the fate you thought you saved him from would be preempted by his suffering from days without food and water.

I returned again before dark. I did not see him. I went again early the next morning only to find the food and water still untouched. If only you were here so you could call his name. Your voice is so familiar to him. I began pursuit in the direction he had taken yesterday, doubt overshadowing my hope of finding him. His search for you was desperate, it could take him many miles in 24 hours.

It is hours later and a good distance from where we first met, but I have found your dog. His thirst has been stopped, it is no longer a torment to him. His hunger has disappeared, he no longer aches. The burrs in his paws bother him no more. Your dog has been set free from his burdens, you see, your dog has died.

I kneel next to him and I curse you for not being here yesterday so I could have seen the glow, if just for a moment, in those now vacant eyes. I pray that his journey has taken him to that place I think you hoped he would find. If only you knew what he went through to reach it.... and I agonize, for I know, that were he to awaken at this moment, and (if) I were to be you, his eyes would sparkle with recognition and his tail wag with forgiveness.

15. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

Jen, I stumbled on this post today. I know it's kinda old but I wanted to add something that happened to my kids and I that sound familier.

The 3 of us went to a Dairy Queen last year about 9 at night. It was raining really hard. There was a big yellow dog pacing around the cars in the drive-up looking at the windows. It was soaked, walked slow and looked old. Maybe it appeared old because it was cold, hungry and tired.

I was waiting for it to come to our car so I could coax it in, but as soon as the thought entered my head of putting him in our small car with us, it turned and walked real slow out into a 3 lane road and got hit by a car. It was so dark and pouring so hard that I hoped I didn't see what I thought I did but I did because it wasn't standing anymore.. it was thrown towards the curb.

At that moment, a man in a pick up, sped out of the drive-up line, hurridly put the dog in the back of his truck and took off. I hoped it was still alive and could be saved. I hoped that this was the reason that the man took it and drove off so quickly. I was angry that he didn't take it before it was hit though and wondered how long the poor thing had been wandering out there before this tragedy had finally happened.

I really feel for you. What a sad and shocking thing to go through.

16. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

OH, my, I really have big problems with that here. Last year we had five abandoned dogs left on our county road. I have three, my sons have one, one I took to a rescue center. I pray that there are no more this year cause we are all full up. But last week I was doing my yearly trash pickup on three miles of county road (just cause I hate to see the trash). I came across a trashbag with a dead dog and a dead cat in it. Now that is really sad. Then down the road about a mile, another dead dog in the ditch---looked like it might have been hit and killed right there. It really breaks my heart to see such treatment of innocent, helpless, loving critters. People can be so cruel. Thank goodness there are many people like you and others on here that care.

17. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We've had three dogs dumped here since moving to the farm a little over two years ago. We kept two. Animal Control picked up the other.
    Around here, you can take a stray to the Shelter and they'll charge you $40 to take it. Doesn't matter that it's not your dog. But you can call Animal Control instead and they will come out and get the dog for nothing.
    I'm not going to be keeping just any dog that someone else decides they don't want. But the two we kept have been great dogs.
    mary

18. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi Jen;
    I know the post is old but I just stumbled on it today. Sorry about the dog. I have had similar things to happen here. Years ago when the fIRST stray that I observed got hit, I felt so guilty. But, every year more strays are dropped off. We have had as many as 5 dropped off in a single month. Over the past 25 years dozens! I do feel sorry for the animals. But I don't run a shelter. I have a dog and don't want the cost of feeding, vet bills and medicines for dozens of animals that thoughtless humans get, tire of and drop off in front of my house. These dogs end up run over, killed or shot by locals. I know it sounds bad about the locals shooting them but animal control has informed me that with the cost of sheltering strays and the cost of gassing them, they SHOOT the animals. What I'm saying is try not to berate yourself. You did NOT create the situation, the poor animals did not create the situation, the IRRESPONSIBLE pet owners are the ones to blame. I agree with you wholeheartedly that the PET OWNERS should take responsibility to keep this from happenning.
    Have a blessed day.
    tamilee

19. designer

designer Well-Known Member

Why would someone drop a dog on the side of the road? Before we start hanging people we must think of the circumstances. There seems there would always be options other than to abandon the dog, right? But to be honest I have thought about it myself, not done it, but thought about it. Having taken in a homeless dog to "try to find him a home". Thinking I would have him a few days, turning into months. This county has no shelter. The surounding counties won't take him because they are full or we are out of their area. Having put notices on the radio, bulleton boards and web boards with no responce. The dog is reeking havoc on our animals. Chases the chickens, the cat, has injured my greyhound with his rough play. Turned our yard into a mine field of holes, chewed up our gas grill wiring, several garden hoses, and the line to the heat pump. Being at my wits end I have thought about it. The animal control gases strays since there is no shelter. I haven't had the heart to call them. But I can't continue to keep him, we have 5 other dogs. So what is the solution. I have thought of driving into a county with a shelter and calling animal control from a store and pretending to have caught him until they pick him up. Terrible right? But what is the most human solution?

20. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The most humane solution is to do what the original owner should have done: painlessly euthanize the animal. It's what a responsible human should do.

I'm surprised to find out that your county uses gas to euthanize. I know that there are "humane" methods of gassing, but don't really know much about such procedures.

The reason I'm up at o'dark-thirty today is because I had a terrible nightmare about losing my dog to someone else's negligence, and it rattled my cage so bad I couldn't fall back asleep. It grinds my gears that people dump their pets because they don't want the responsibility. Kind of like a lot of people dump (literally and figuratively) their children on the system (schools, etc.) or on others because they don't want to do the hard work of raising them.

I'm with Reluctant Patriot: We definitely have a people problem.

Pony!