Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have been lurking for a year or two - Love this board - but will save the intro for another time as I have a lamb in trouble.

She was born yesterday probably between 10 and 12. We found at 3Pm in sheep house with dead twin. She would not nurse so I have been tube feeding her colostrom from the ewe. I have foaled a few hundred foals and if she were a foal we would call her a dummy and treat for brain swelling with DMSO. I breed about 10 ewes per year and have had problems in the past but at 24 hours they are usually nursing on their own or dead. So some questions?

I gave her 2cc of pen subq this morning - what should the dosage and timing be fror further treatment?
Milking sheep is much harder work than mares. I can only get about 4oz at a time. In the last 24 hours I have fed the lamb 24 oz. Is ths enough and can I switch to partial milk replacer now? How much should she get in total?
Any suggestions to help? I gave her some molasses with 3 of the feedings.

She stands by ewe but will not latch on teat. SHe will occasionall butt ewe weakly. One ear is flopped down and she is small. Her twin was dead when we found them. Could have been distocia or ?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated - we breed for meat but are growing the herd and keeping the girls. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd go with replacer at this point if you can't get enough from the ewe. Not sure how to help you with the nursing. I do know too much molasses can be bad on the rumnaits. I'd try lessing the amout per feedings to keep it a lil on the hungry side. I would stay with the tube feeding at this point if you get it to take a bottle you will own it for the next 8 weeks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like you're doing about the right amount - but it depends on the size of the sheep too. I raise the babydoll southdowns which are smaller in size than most sheep. If I have a slow lamb (and I don't think I ever had a dummy lamb but there is such a thing), I usually give it 2 ounces every 3-4 hours; if yours is a larger breed, then 4 ounces would be okay then. I'd try to see if she'll suck from a bottle; if she seems pretty healthy, I'd skip the feeding at night so she's good and hungry in the morning.
Is it warm where you live? (sorry I didn't see where you live). If it's cold, just bring the lamb in the house - much easier than drudging outside in the cold plus the lamb will have a better chance in the warm house.
But you're right, it's not easy milking a sheep..

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I'd give it 1/2 cc of B complex, 1/2 of AD and by size for E Selenium if you're in a selenium def area or your feed comes from one. I'd use a more basic sugar suppliment like gluecose or corn syrup and a milk or colostrum replacer if more is needed. If it's cold cut him a little coat out of an old blanket but the more hes seperated from mum the higher the chance of rejection. Has the lamb passed any fecal matter?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Oh yeah is the lambs mouth cold and is it drooling at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the lamb with its mom in a 10x10 sheep shed with 2 heat lamps on - outside temps have been 28 today. Her nose and mouth are warm. No drooling. As of 10PM still not nursing. What is AD? Alarms set for 4AM - lets hope she is nursing by then.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
What is AD?
Vitamins A and D

I' dgive it whole cow's milk instead of milk replacer. Its better for them and MUCH cheaper.
The Selenium will probably help more than anything. but BoSe is a prescription drug

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
While BoSe is a prescription drug if you a good relationship with your vet most will sell you a bottle that will last a long time depending on how many lambs you have each year. Mine will expire before I use it all. G&S

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Is BoSe very different than a vitamin E Selenium injectable suppliment? It's over the counter here.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
The E Sel I have here is 3ml/cc Selenium and 136 iu of Vit E ........ I think, the lights bad my eyesight worse and the bottle's been in and out of a pocket or two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called my vet and she told me to find a place to order it online and she will call in a prescription. I will check out our local ag supply tomorrow too. I gave her another cc of pen and tube fed today - I have kept her a little hungry - she noses around and butts the udder but still won't latch on. She mouths the teat - same with the bottle. The ear came up a bit and she is up quite a bit - even playing a little. This is the first I have had alive and still not nursing 48 hours +. Thanks for the selenium suggestions, I had not even considered that could be a problem. For the rest of my ewes, I need to start a program in case Selenium deficiency is causing the problem. Is it best to supplement the ewe during gestation or treat lamb at birth?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I wouldn't say selenium def is causinbg the problem just you don't need anything else contributing to the problem. If your vet thinks you need to add selenium to your flock management you could ask her for her advise to treat ewe or lamb but we treat the lambs at birth so we know they are not at a disadvantage. I'm guessing your lamb was the product of a difficult birthing and is just slow to learn to nurse etc. Keeping the lamb fed and encouraging it to learn to nurse often works wonders. As it sounds you're doing of course!!

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Is BoSe very different than a vitamin E Selenium injectable suppliment?
Mt bottle says it's a vitamin E selenium. We don't give more then 1/4 to 1/2 cc to a lamb.

Is it best to supplement the ewe during gestation or treat lamb at birth?
I give a loose mineral and salt combine with selenium add all year. You can also give 2cc a month before you put the ewes in the breed. G&S

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
she noses around and butts the udder but still won't latch on. She mouths the teat - same with the bottle. The ear came up a bit and she is up quite a bit - even playing a little. This is the first I have had alive and still not nursing 48 hours +. Thanks for the selenium suggestions, I had not even considered that could be a problem. For the rest of my ewes, I need to start a program in case Selenium deficiency is causing the problem. Is it best to supplement the ewe during gestation or treat lamb at birth?
BOSE can make quite a difference with a slow lamb (my teenage son referred to one of ours as "Rainman" or "Rainey").
If you can keep her strength up, she might take a few days to catch on to the nursing thing.
What position is she in when trying to give her a bottle, also what kind of teat are you using ?
Have you also been giving her the vitamin B ?

I have had great success in giving my lambs BOSE (1/4-1/2 cc.) at birth.
This would also depend on whether you are in a selenium deficient area.

Ross: BOSE: Each ml contains: 2.19 mg sodium selenite (1 mg selenium),
50 mg vitamin E

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Well I had my daughter read the lable and yeah it's 3 mg sodium selenite and 136 iu of Vit E so pretty similar.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i would keep the milk replacer on till she gets big enough to eat feed i bought a lamb from the sale barn that was about 25 lbs and we put here on milk replacer and after about 2 weeks she was eating feed. for how much milk replacer to give them i fell the bottle so taht just the bottom of it is full

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our dummy lamb is doing well and was moved to our winter lamb housing - with turnout. Our second was born 2 days ago - and nursed and was normal first 24 hours............ now is off suck and straining for urine or poop - We are losing her fast and have not figured out the problem. It looks like her rectum may be closed. This is not a good lambing season for us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts